Belt squeal type noise-ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I have an "80 Malibu with the 305 SBC in it. Last summer I swapped the front accessory belt drive setup from an '81 Cutlass parts car that I had here (also a 305, both non A/C cars), because the alternator belt came off the original belt setup, and the car overheated. On the original setup, only the alternator belt went around the fan pulley. On the Cutlass setup, both the alternator belt, and the power steering belt went around the fan pulley, so I figured it would give me some extra insurance, in case the alternator belt failed again. At that time, I also replaced the water pump with an aftermarket replacement pump, and I put new belts on it. Now, when the engine is cold, I have a squeal type noise when I rev the engine up (sounds just like a belt squeal), but the noise goes away when the engine warms up. Once it cools down a bit, the noise is back. I've adjusted the belts several times, and tried lubing the belts-the noise is still there. Have I missed something? The belts appear to be aligned properly. Should I try belts from another supplier? Maybe something wrong with the water pump? I'm not sure what this is. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
You might try scuffing up the inside of the pulleys where the belt makes contact with some 220 grit sandpaper. You might concentrate on the alternator pulley as it would be most likely to slip (small contact area).

I have had vehicles where the belt slipped for a while and polished the pulley up so smooth that a brand new belt would squeal.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Once it starts squealing, it won't stop. The belt probably has little bits of melted rubber on the sides from squealing. Make sure the pulleys are 100% aligned with eachother or it'll keep happening. Get the smooth belts, not the cogged kind. Those stretch and are just plain crappy.

Attachments

• v-belts1.gif
    v-belts1.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 197

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Also, take the alternator off and see if it squeaks. I had an alternator that was charging, but was old and squeaking.

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Make sure the pulleys are all the same with since you have done some changing. You have the proper size belt for the pulley groove. The pulleys are in alignment with each other and have the proper tension

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor