Bench seat fitment with T56?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squag27

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2021
West Palm Beach FL
Hey guys, haven't been on in a while but I figured someone on here might know about this. I've got a F-body T56 in my El Camino and while the '94 Trans Am bucket seats I have in the car are okay, I'd really like to go back to a stock bench seat. I'm pretty sure there are others on here who've done a T56 swap like me but has anyone done so with a bench? I'm concerned with how far back the shifter is that it'll be an issue clearing.

Last edited:

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
So they do offer a 'front' shift kit

The F body rear mount factory location will hit the seat. I have my shifter moved 1.5" forward to line up with the GP console hole and it basically sits parallel to the front of the seats.

Option B if you are more of an upholstery guy is to cut a moon shaped cutout of the OE G body bench like a medium duty F700 or C65 truck would have.

1663336566916.png

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Squag27

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2021
West Palm Beach FL
It'll be right up again the front of the bench seat, unless you move it back.

What are 1994 Trans Am Bench Seats?
I figured as much. And sorry that was a typo, meant to say buckets

So they do offer a 'front' shift kit

The F body rear mount factory location will hit the seat. I have my shifter moved 1.5" forward to line up with the GP console hole and it basically sits parallel to the front of the seats.

Option B if you are more of an upholstery guy is to cut a moon shaped cutout of the OE G body bench like a medium duty F700 or C65 truck would have.

View attachment 206972
I’ve seen the forward mount relocation kits but I feel like with how far forward it is it would really make it a bear to reach for the shifter. That and the fact that I already have the trans tunnel set up for the rear mount unfortunately doesn’t make that an option for me. I’d be curious just how much work it would be to modify the bench seat itself though, not a bad idea.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
You would just have to cut the center out and re-upholster it. Would be custom.

This is my SS with factory bucket seats and Fbody T56. Gives you an idea which you already probably know.

O3z95sH-1.jpg

They do have a kit out there that relocates the shifter to basically where the inspection plate is. The shifter is curved back and it's actually not that uncomfortable.

Reactions: 1 user

Squag27

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2021
West Palm Beach FL
You would just have to cut the center out and re-upholster it. Would be custom.

This is my SS with factory bucket seats and Fbody T56. Gives you an idea which you already probably know.

View attachment 206974

They do have a kit out there that relocates the shifter to basically where the inspection plate is. The shifter is curved back and it's actually not that uncomfortable.
Thanks. Yeah the buckets are cool but being that the Elco only has front passenger seating it can be limiting so the bench would help.
It’s not a very good pic but this is the only interior shot I could find of mine at the moment. Obviously I’d have to go back to the stock g body parking brake too.
Screenshot 2022-09-16 at 11.22.22 AM.png

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
A possible option to allow some space could be '94-'04 S10/15 front bench. The automatics had a removable cup holder where the cut out is for the stick trucks. As long as the width is right you'll need a set of G-body seat tracks.

Reactions: 2 users

Squag27

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2021
West Palm Beach FL
A possible option to allow some space could be '94-'04 S10/15 front bench. The automatics had a removable cup holder where the cut out is for the stick trucks. As long as the width is right you'll need a set of G-body seat tracks.
That’s a good idea, though it’s a shame how ugly the s10 seats are. I think I may try my luck with having an upholsterer put a cut in a factory seat. I found a split bench locally for under $100 so I should have some money in the budget still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor