CUTLASS Bench seat question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
I'm working on a 1980 cutlass. This car origionally had bucket seats with center console. Seats were junk when I got the car and console was worse. I have a bench seat in my basement that should bolt right in but my question is this. Will the center console mounts get in the way of the bench seat sliding when installed?

I also have a steering column that I can swap in to make it a column shift.

I'm trying to get this car on the road without buying bucket seats and with parts I have.

Please advise and happy Christmas eve.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Take the console mounts off, put the bench in. If it fits and the floor shift functions ok leave it like that till you can replace the ( more desirable) buckets and console.

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
Thanks. I'm curious if I need to remove the mounts for the seat to slide? I'd like to leave them in if they will not be in the way of the seat moving

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Are they welded in or bolted? I went the other way with my car. It had a bench and I installed buckets and console. Can you post a pic of these brackets?

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
if you don't get an answer, you'll have to try it your self.
if the seat hits the console mounts, you may be able to shim with seat up with washers. not only can you do this at the floor mounts, but also where the seat attaches to the seat tracks.
if you need to remove the console mounts, i recommend using a spot weld cutting drill bit. they work great and don't mess up the mounts for future use.

Reactions: 1 user

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
I don't currently have a pic but the mounts are welded in from the factory. The shim idea to clear the mount could work if needed. I am removing the floor shifter and console for this car so the bench will not hit the shifter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor