Best battery to buy right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
I need to buy a battery for the Ferd. When I threw the truck together a few years ago I bought the cheapest group size 65 battery I could find, I think it was $50 at Walmart. Its on it's way out, and I'm honestly surprised its lasted this long. The weather is getting colder and the way things are looking I'm gonna have to rely on the truck as transportation at least a few times a week this winter (I'm not thrilled).

Anyways I want to swap it out before I get stranded. With all the brand buyouts and relabeling that constantly goes on with car batteries, which currently are the better or best brands to buy and which ones should I avoid? Is AGM worth it?

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
I've had good luck with Deka batteries. Made right here in PA. I just finally had to replace the one in my dd s10. It finally gave up the ghost after over 9 years.

Reactions: 3 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I have a Sears Die-Hard in my 88 Thunderbird. Granted it spends 95% of it's time on a trickle charger and I 've really only been driving it about one month each summer for the last 5-7 years.

This is no BS. I bought and installed the battery in 1995 and it has held up ever since.

Sure, I take jumper cables with me any time it goes out, but I've never needed them.

Can you even get a Die-Hard anymore?

66241349_2346115035464129_634776564118061056_n.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
I've had good luck with Deka batteries. Made right here in PA. I just finally had to replace the one in my dd s10. It finally gave up the ghost after over 9 years.

My experience with Deka has been good. My Cub Cadet has one in it and it's really strong. They aren't all that easy to find on this side of the state though. I bought the Cub Cadet in Reading PA and the Deka was in it. There might be some shops that sell them but I cant recall the last time I saw them for sale anywhere.

I have a Sears Die-Hard in my 88 Thunderbird. Granted it spends 95% of it's time on a trickle charger and I 've really only been driving it about one month each summer for the last 5-7 years.

This is no BS. I bought and installed the battery in 1995 and it has held up ever since.

Sure, I take jumper cables with me any time it goes out, but I've never needed them.

Can you even get a Die-Hard anymore?

That's unreal. Last I heard Advance Auto bought the rights to the Diehard name.

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
In my experience, Interstate Batteries are the way to go, but that being said I had to go with something cheap for the Malibu, at least to help get it started. Advance Auto - Die Hard Gold, I'll find out over time if this battery last any longer than the Interstate I have in my Chevy Cobalt.

Nov 4, 2012
In my experience, Interstate Batteries are the way to go, but that being said I had to go with something cheap for the Malibu, at least to help get it started. Advance Auto - Die Hard Gold, I'll find out over time if this battery last any longer than the Interstate I have in my Chevy Cobalt.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Diehard Gold. 850CCA, 1000CA for $127.99 after core charge with a 20% code. Interstate wants $180-something for their battery with the same specs plus I have to either drive across town or order it in.

I have a $50 Walmart "value power" battery it's on its 5th year now. I've got no complaints.

Thats what I've got in it right now, I think it's about 3 years old.

Reactions: 3 users

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I have 5 cars I have to keep batteries in and I have found Walmart batteries to be the most cost effective way to go. Walmart is Everywhere and they are usually good about the warranty. Mine don't usually last too much longer than the warranty but they don't usually die early either. I also find that they put out the power that they are rated for.

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
Right now I'm leaning toward the Diehard Gold. 850CCA, 1000CA for $127.99 after core charge with a 20% code. Interstate wants $180-something for their battery with the same specs plus I have to either drive across town or order it in.

Thats what I've got in it right now, I think it's about 3 years old.
I have a two year old. Whatever the more expensive autozone battery is in my truck. I'm expecting to get the three year mark out of that. Lol.

Maybe call the Ford dealership about a motorcraft. I bought a battery for my 93 Bronco from Ford. Was actually a little cheaper than autozone, for a better battery with a better warranty. Spent a couple years in my Bronco, then another couple years in my wife's Explorer. Sold it in there instead of switching it to my 95 F150 so I don't know how many years it lasted.

Reactions: 1 user

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
They aren't all that easy to find on this side of the state though

Quick Google search is showing an east Penn location on commerce Dr in plum industrial park. They are the manufacturer of deka batteries.

I buy my deka batteries from a battery warehouse in Johnstown. I like them. Nice warranties and reasonable prices.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor