Best carburetor cleaner spray

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I have a Holley Street Avenger Ultra 670 carburetor and I just want to spray the insides to get it kind of clean the carburetor been sitting on the car for about a year what is the best carburetor spray cleaner to use

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Berkebile 2+2

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have always just used Gumout but I clean mine periodically so they are never really very dirty.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i got some of the auto zone brand carb cleaner in my eye sunday,it's pretty potent.cheap enough too.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
They are all weak these days. A really dirty one I will submerge in #2 oil (diesel) for a while. Then finish it off with a paintbrush or toothbrush and a whatever-is-cheapest spray can.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
They are all weak these days. A really dirty one I will submerge in #2 oil (diesel) for a while. Then finish it off with a paintbrush or toothbrush and a whatever-is-cheapest spray can.

x2 especially if the carb has been sitting for a year

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
I have become a fan of berrymans carb cleaner as of late. I use this more or less as a quick maintenance clean product. Bonnewagon idea will get you the overall best result.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Berrymans is good as is Gunk and the dip basket is a nice thing. Too bad a Q-jet body won't fit. The small parts fit and won't get lost. You can do as I do and use a big enough vessel to hold a dissassembled carb. Then keep the cleaner in another container like a steel bucket. I still feel they are weak but are good for a final cleaning after the #2 oil has dissolved the heavy junk. It is hard to find but Permatex Heavy Duty carb and Choke Cleaner in the gallon can is hands down the best. Stinks to holy hell but the parts come out like new.
1574435165938.jpeg
1574435427286.jpeg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
A product that I remember came in a 5-gal, pail with a good size basket. I can't recall the name,...Hydroseal?... but this stuff was pretty toxic. You had to keep it outside, the odor was horrendous.
Carbs would come out squeaky clean and other engine parts and nuts and bolts. The stuff they sell today works okay, but doesn't hold a candle to this stuff.
They may have banned the product due to it;s toxicity. This stuff worked...and don't get it on your skin...it burns.

I believe I have the Gunk brand 1-gal. can with basket included. To do my Q-jet, I had to dump the contents into a rectangular aluminum pan, or vessel.
As Mark said, you can't fit a Qjet body into the 1-gal pail.
The 1-gal container was able to fit my two Weber carbs...individually, of course.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor