best coil spring compressing tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Looking for the safest method to install front springs with only jack, jack stands, blocks....

I really like this tool that is good for older A-bodies: https://www.classicchevy.com/coil-spring-compressor-57-253661-1.html

If that threaded rod is too thick to fit through the g-body top shock mount, then perhaps I'll buy a thinner threaded rod. As a matter of fact, I could probably cobble that together with fender washers, bolts and threaded rod.

Opinions? I don't want to lose my teeth and I'm kinda not interested in sloppy solutions - looking for the right way to do it without a shop.

Mike

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I "borrowed" the OEMTOOLS 57035 from autozone to do the springs in my coupe. I liked it so much I wound up buying one. Works great.

Reactions: 1 user

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I have a universal coil spring compressor. A couple things to keep in mind. The installed coil is not standing straight up. It's sitting compressed in an arc.

You only need to compress a stock tall spring a bit. When the spindle is disconnected and the lower arm is swung down, they is not much preload left in the spring.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
This is what I have and been using for the last 35+ years. If your looking for a safe and reliable spring compressor tool this is the one. It is on the expensive side but well worth it. Even used it with the car on jack stands.
Made by OTC 7045B
516n01vWxjL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
This is what I have and been using for the last 35+ years. If your looking for a safe and reliable spring compressor tool this is the one. It is on the expensive side but well worth it. Even used it with the car on jack stands.
Made by OTC 7045B
View attachment 204093
I'm grateful for all the recommendations.

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
I wish I would have known that was available when I owned my 1978 chevette. Would have made life so much easier.

On my Regal I just unbolted the lower arms from the frame, switched the springs out and jacked them back into place with a floor jack. Didn't bother with a compressor at all.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
I rent the Oreilly one when I need one. I have found that threading it through the upper shock hole and compresssing the spring to the frame works well, then unbolt the lower a-arm, and unscrew the compressor. I just use a ratchet, not an impact on the compressor.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Made by OTC 7045

I have been using the same for years also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor