Best electric fan to

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmachinz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2005
Des Moines, IA
I here ya. I like the installed look of the Intrepid fans quite a bit. I'm actually a distributor for DC Controls but I sell the same fans cheaper by themselves. We just happen to sell the same things. Personally, I just stick the largest single electric fan I can find with Mark VIII's leading my list. -Jabin

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Very interesting thread there.

Just to toss my own two cents in, I have dual fans out of a Mopar of sorts in my 383 El Camino. I thought they were from an Intrepid, but they don't seem to be dual speed. Maybe from a van. The were free from a totaled vehicle at my dad's work, so I didn't see what they're from. I have a Flex a lite controler for $25, and a relay/fuse setup out of a '90's LeSabre for $5. I've got a stock-type 4 core radiator and A/C and an oil cooler. She runs nice and cool at the sweltering Car Craft Nats here in MN in July. I like it alot.

It seems to me the cooling market has yet to get their prices down to a realistic level. I don't see that a dual fan kit needs to cost $400 (Jeg's/Summit)

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Hmmmm......I use Ramcharger fans with a Painless adjustable thermostat. The low speed comes on with the AC on and the highspeed is controlled by the thermostat which is set at 180 degrees. I use a 160 degree thermostat because my thinking is to have the thermostat completely open before the thermostat kicks the fans in. In stop and go driving the temp never goes above 180 but one thing that puzzles me is that on the freeway at speeds above 75mph the temperature will climb to 190 or even a little higher; this never happened when I had a clutch controlled mechanical fan. I'm thinking that the thermostat placement might have something to do with it. I drive a 1979 El Camino with a mild 350cid. AC, and a high power ignition system. The 93amp alternator is just sufficient but I will definitely upgrade to 120-140 amps when replacing the alternator.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
You know what, mine gets hot at speed too. I don't get it. I even have that little air dam that bolts right under the radiator too. Any ideas there??

gmachinz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2005
Des Moines, IA
My guess is that the fanis never actually shutting off at freeway speeds because the temp. sensor still has the fan engaged via the relay for whatever reason, so at highe rspeeds,the fan is acting lik a wall-restricting the airflow. What you need is a variable (and no, nobody except our DC controllers are true variable speed...email me on this and I can elaborate further...) speed controller that is sensitive enough to shut the fan voltage off alltogether when the inrush of air at that speed cools the coolant down. Then, the fan(s) is freespiniing which will not cause any restrictions. If you want more info, shoot me an email. -Jabin

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
OK, I think you maybe correct about the fans and shroud restricing air flow thru the radiator at high speeds but please explain to me how any thermostat will overcome this.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Well why would they stay on at speed but not when going slow?? I can hear and see them come on and off when I'm traveling slow or with the hood open. Riddle me that one Batman!!

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
If an engine runs cool at idle and low speeds but overheats at highway speeds this usually indicates a problem with airflow thru the radiator. At higher engine speeds the engine puts more heat into the cooling system and if there is a restriction of air thru the radiator the engine will overheat or least run hotter than it would at lower speeds. I'm guessing that the RamCharger fans do restrict airflow at high vehicle speeds. I'm experimenting with baffles and thermostat placement to see if I can get the highway speed temp to 180 where I want it. It only goes to about 190 but when I had an engine driven fan with a 180 degree thermostat the temperature went to 180 and stayed there, regardless if it was stop and go driving or highway speeds of 65mph+.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
That does indeed make sense. Or it could be that the radiator is plugged?? But the engine is newly rebuilt and radiator is newer than that. Me fans are behind the radiator as well. I dunno its got my puzzled for sure.

Arok

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 3, 2006
Gainesville, Florida
I heard of one guy who's car only overheated at about 55-60 because he had put either the fan in backwards or crossed polarity when putting power to it. So at 55-60 the wind and the fan cancelled each other out, any other combination of speed and one would overpower the other and cool fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor