Best engine assembly lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Curious what you guys like and why? I need to buy a torque angle gauge and may as well pair them together on Amazon for free shipping.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I don't know what is BEST, per se, but I used to use GM EOS years ago when assembling engine parts. No issues there. Then I was out of that when I did the last 455 so I picked up some Lucas assembly lube and was pleased with it as well. It's pretty slickery. But I also think it's a bit more sticky than EOS, but, that's just a seat of the pants observation. I wiped the cylinder walls with that stuff and didn't rust and the stuff never moved. I'd buy it again.

Don't know what Amazon is slinging, but I'm sure if you used some top name brands like Permatex, Lucas, etc, you can't go wrong. It's just assembly lube. Temporary stuff. Just make sure it's compatible with your oil, and you should be good to go.

I don't recall who made it, but years ago there used to be a "toothpaste"-like engine assembly lube similar to the cam lobe lubes. I was always scared to use the paste stuff because I wasn't sure how fast it would dissolve if you happened to gob some up in an oil passage somewhere.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
LubriPlate hands down.

• Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I have used Lubriplate which is essentially white lithium grease.

The main purpose of assembly lube is to supply film thickness until the oil system can splash oil everything.

A lot of marketing hype goes into assembly lube but I am not sure how much it really helps as it gets washed off in the first 10 seconds once oil flows and flushes it out of the bearings.

Moly in the lube is a good thing but again, once it gets washed out it's not doing much
You want it to be sticky/high viscosity so it doesn't fall off the cam or bearing journals before you prime the system and turn it over

But beyond that I haven't seen a scientific explanation to why it helps or matters.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, Permatex is the most affordable but their stuff is hit and miss. I saw Redline, Lucas, Comp etc. Lubriplate is one I wonder about as in any grease in a motor, will it gob up somewhere it shouldn't? I will prime the motor before start up. Spent a fortune on this motor, not looking to save $5, if one if better than another. The first oil change will literally be just a few miles with fresh non synthetic nothing special our brand Coop10W30 SN oil. Then either a Wix or K+N filter swapped with fresh oil to remove any assembly lube or shaving and dirt that might be missed. Having a roller cam is going to be awesome with nice tight clearances. Any 10W30 and no worries of a flat cam, I been down that road. At least it destroyed a $150 short block, not 5 grand like this one.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've never had any issues with EOS or Lucas. If it's thick and a bit sticky and made for engine assembly, you probably won't go wrong. It'll be gone in no time anyway shortly after startup and you'll never think about it again. If you prelube it before start up and your clearances are right, I predict you'll be just fine.

I knew a guy when I was growing up that lived down the street from us. He was a mechanic at a Chrysler dealership but did a lot of side jobs. He ALWAYS just used engine oil putting engines together. I never heard any explosions from his garage, so I guess that worked for him.

Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I used Lubriplate, and Lucas on the distributor & cam gears. I will prime & start my motor with Comp Cams break in oil that has plenty of Moly.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Good old fashioned STP blue. That stuff sticks to everything. The downside is you can't get it off your hands. I ruin a lot of rags trying to keep my hands and tools oil free for torquing.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor