Best engine assembly lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
When I first tried assembling an engine I asked at the local parts store what to use. A guy I trusted said he always used STP and white lithium grease. I have used that ever since- no problems.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I use Permatex assembly lube because it is sticky!

View attachment 179310
Yeah, I think this is the route I will go. I have used STP, it worked but who knows. Enough people on this site and CO have used and liked it. My old boss used Lubriplate but the idea of grease, I know probably just in my head.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I feel like white lithium grease is old school (which doesn't mean it's ineffective). I've used Brad Penn engine assembly lube since 2010 and my bottle is about empty. I call it camel snot. It's green, thick, and sticky as all Hell.

Reactions: 1 users

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
I've had no issues with Lucas.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
My way of thinking on this is time. If the engine will be installed and running in a week oil is fine. In a month something a little stickier is needed. A year and it becomes very important what you use.

If you build for others and have no say in when the engine is installed and run you just might want the "best".

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
My way of thinking on this is time. If the engine will be installed and running in a week oil is fine. In a month something a little stickier is needed. A year and it becomes very important what you use.

If you build for others and have no say in when the engine is installed and run you just might want the "best".
I would agree. To an extent. Now the real question is if you used the "correct" lube for your anticipated time frame, then why do people still prime engines? You shouldn't have to do both. Either use oil to assemble and prime it before starting, or use thicker stuff and simply start it up when you're ready.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
My plan is this, Permatex on all the bearings, ATF on the cylinders and STP probably on the roller cam and lifters. I could go with a Moly paste of some sort. Am I correct in thinking that the Moly isn't as necessary for a roller cam? The ATF is not leave deposits on the little 1mm piston rings. I remember reading engine oil can do that.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It appears from the answers given is the same conclusion as what is the best assembly lube is the same as the best oil, trans fluid, paint, gas, or car wax, etc., etc.

My thoughts on assembly lube and oil priming...YES. They go together IMO. When assembling the engine, assembly lube sticks to and lubes the bearings and contacting parts while the crank is turned to put that next rod pair together. The cam moves, the crank moves, and thrust bearings need protection from metal to metal rubbing. Assembly lube doesn't really flow. Oil does. If primed right before startup, you've filled all the galleys and got rid of all the dead space, so as soon as you start to crank the engine over, you should see oil flow. So what if it washes off the assembly lube? You want that to happen anyway. You're done with assembly, now on with the operational part of it. That's why they don't call it start-up lube.

While many engines see no problem with it, I still believe it's best to wash out everything possible with the normal oil flow that the engine would see for the rest of its life after initial startup.

As far as the camshaft, roller lobes don't slide against each other so assembly lube should work just fine. As mentioned, depends on how long you plan on letting it sit as even the liquid-type assembly lube will drip off lobes if left long enough. Using moly paste won't hurt it, though.

JMO, yours may differ.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor