best engine/transmission combo for 85 cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

85 2tone

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2009
gastonia,nc
i wanna know the bes engine transmission combo for a deep growl from my exhaust i dont care 2 much about speed i want you to hear my pipes way b4 u see me rite now i believe i gotta 307 w a standard transmission and im running 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch pipes with glasspacks thatnk u

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Lets see. You

85 2tone said:
wanna know the bes engine transmission combo for a deep growl from my exhaust

because

85 2tone said:
i dont care 2 much about speed i want you to hear my pipes way b4 u see me

And

85 2tone said:
rite now i believe i gotta 307 w a standard transmission and im running 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch pipes with glasspacks thatnk u

You mean to tell me you wanna change the engine because you don't like the way your exhaust sounds? :shock: If it's not loud enough now, take it off altogether. Or, just keep driving with the glasspacks. In a few months they'll burn out anyway and it'll be like having no muffler at all.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
85 2tone said:
i wanna know the bes engine transmission combo for a deep growl from my exhaust i dont care 2 much about speed i want you to hear my pipes way b4 u see me rite now i believe i gotta 307 w a standard transmission and im running 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch pipes with glasspacks thatnk u

Wow. With writing skills like that, we might have the next Shakespeare! :shock: Seriously though, what will making the slow car loud prove? It would be like a body builder who gets himself castrated. All show, but no real point to it. What do you do when someone tries to make you prove what you got? All you will do is get laughed at as a poser and then manage to call yourself to the attention of the cops. Women are not impressed at a loud car that gets beat all the time, and neither are other guys. Those of us who have louder cars also have the power to back up the growl. I prefer to speak softly, but carry a big stick. That way, you don't draw unwanted attention, but you needn't shy away from a fight either.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
i'm running a slightly moded 307,2.56 gearing,2 inch stock exhaust and a cherrybomb glasspack,which is about 5 months old,it makes a nice rumble in first and in idle,but sounds the same when you floor it,my previous cutlass had the same exhaust,not sure of the brand glasspack but since it was 2 years old on a daily driver it made the 307 sound much louder,but over time glasspacks just become a holled out stright pipe,anyway i rather like the sound of dead stock 350 olds and dead stock exhaust,but if you want it loud, dual straight pipes and race mufflers are the surefire way,I'll find out when i get $300 for it :shock:

85 2tone

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2009
gastonia,nc
i aint mean i wanted a slow car i want power but i was sayin it as i aint gone be racing nobody so i dont need like 800 thousand horsepower just a good strong bolt directly in engine and transmission thats all

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
cut out your catalytic converter

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor