Best factory manifolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
Okay, so I have an 83 Regal with a vortec head 350sbc, the car has a 5 speed manual transmission using the factory mechanical linkage. I have Hedman 68310 headers... And I hate them...

They leak a lot. They're warped terribly I've tried everything short of having them resurfaced, they visibly look too warped to bother trying to get them resurfaced. They even seem to be leaking at the ball and socket flanges.

At this point I'm willing to sacrifice a little power and sound to not hear multiple annoying ticks the entire time I'm driving.

What would be my best option for a factory manifold? I'm just scared of trying another set of headers and there's not that many options with the z bar clutch linkage to begin with.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm using a set of mid '70's manifolds with Flowmaster 81068 down pipes. A header option would be Thornton's SBC shorty headers which would need BBC down pipes from Flowmaster or Pypes.
Hooker has new cast iron manifolds that have 1/2" exitsbut might need down pipes made.
Other than that I'd suggest the get stock mainfolds extrude honed to improve flow.

Reactions: 1 users

CMCE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2019
I'm using a set of mid '70's manifolds with Flowmaster 81068 down pipes. A header option would be Thornton's SBC shorty headers which would need BBC down pipes from Flowmaster or Pypes.
Hooker has new cast iron manifolds that have 1/2" exitsbut might need down pipes made.
Other than that I'd suggest the get stock mainfolds extrude honed to improve flow.
Sorry to say, but the SBC headers are no longer available. We just sold the last set a few days ago, and there will be no replacement order for these. It was a great concept but just took too long to sell our initial order. However we are thinking about the same concept with log manifolds, only with a 2.5" outlet and flange designed to eliminate the spacer and donut. Hooker has come out with a similar manifold, but you must custom make a downpipe. These would use the standard big block Pypes/Flowmaster downpipes to make installation as simple and stock as possible. The only question is - would they sell?? Your thoughts ?

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Monte carlo ss manfolds from an L69. Z28 manifolds of this era are similiar. Or the circle track guys love the 93-95 camaro lt1 manifolds, no gasket required at head pipes, and 94-96 caprice/roadmaster manifolds are the same but require a gasket at the head pipes.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
You could also buy these from me. These were sold by sanderson headers for 93 z28s that were raced in "show room stock" series. Or something like that. They have a 3" collector. But they won't fit if your your running a heater box.

Attachments

• IMAG0639.jpg
    IMAG0639.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 189

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
However we are thinking about the same concept with log manifolds, only with a 2.5" outlet and flange designed to eliminate the spacer and donut. Hooker has come out with a similar manifold, but you must custom make a downpipe. These would use the standard big block Pypes/Flowmaster downpipes to make installation as simple and stock as possible.
If cost effective would they be extrude honed for better flow? Would there be an option for smog tubes for those who might need them?

CMCE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2019
If cost effective would they be extrude honed for better flow? Would there be an option for smog tubes for those who might need them?
A smog tube option...hmmm. Thanks for that suggestion. The only option we were considering was the '68 & earlier bracket for the alternator on the drivers side. Our thoughts were geared towards A/F/X bodies but G bodies that need smog tubes might be something to think about. We would do 1-5/8" passages so not sure if extrude honing for a street car would be cost effective. And all this depends on demand. It's a lot of work and $$ to tool up and produce only to sit on inventory. That's why I need people's opinion......is this an option you'd buy vs headers?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have a set of BBK G-body headers for an SS Monte from ‘84. They have never been installed and were purchased for the original 305.

Druggle, I’d sell them to you for shipping +$20 if your interested only because of your fat woman ballast post a while back.
You know what - shipping only. I’m still laughing over that.
Let me know.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Here’s some photos. I’d love to give them to someone that will use them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 156

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
Whoops, never did update this, I impulse bought a set of Doug's Tri-Y headers, scratched ones, from speedway motors, on ebay. Lol.

They have 3/8" flanges, going to install those with either an H or X pipe. Hopefully it will stop the leaks, improve torque and not sound like *ss.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor