Best fluid for th350

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bgbird80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 12, 2021
Looking to change out the bullet for the speedo cable and i believe im going to lose fluid. Previous owner doesn't know which fluid is in there now. Any reccomendations?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Any Dexron3 compatible fluid will do.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Try not to get too hung up on Dexron versions. Dexron VI is backwards compatible. Think of Dex VI as type O negative blood. Universal donor to any GM transmission, but Dexron VI transmissions should only receive Dexron VI "blood". In other words, you could use Dexron VI in your Dexron II, III, IV, or VI vehicle. Dexron III shears more than Dexron VI, even though III is initially more viscous (runs thicker initially then falls off the viscosity table faster) than VI. VI is way more stable and should last twice as long as III.

The VI is superior in colder weather and has better friction modifiers in it. I mean, other than the approximate double your cost factor, why would you even want to use Dex III anymore? If you have a museum queen or a car you don't drive much, III may work just fine. But if you're going to work your vehicles, pony up for the VI. JMO. As far as Dex 4, I think they only had it on the market for a short while. It's probably just a hair better than 3.

As fleming442 says, I think you may find the Dex/merc (applicable to 2005 and earlier GM cars) or whatever they're calling the older blend still on the shelves at the auto parts stores now that GM no longer gives a f*ck about III any more, if you're really bent on running the III style formulation.

From ACDelco.com FAQ for Dex VI:

Can I use DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid as a replacement for a previous DEXRON transmission fluid?
Yes, DEXRON-VI fluid can be used on any vehicle type that calls for DEXRON transmission fluid.

Does my transmission fluid need to be changed as regularly as my oil?
No, transmission fluid is designed to last much longer than most engine oils. Always refer to your vehicle owner’s manual to identify how often and when your transmission fluid should be changed. Severe usage and regular usage descriptions are provided.

Are there common causes of automatic transmission fluid contamination?
Yes, contaminants most often come from metal filings or “burnt” byproducts from extreme usage or fluid degradation over time.

Are there preventative steps I can take to minimize contamination?
Yes, inspect the fluid using the dip stick at every oil change to determine if degradation or contamination is occurring.

Can I identify which automatic transmission fluid(s) are applicable/appropriate for my vehicle?
Yes, refer to your vehicle owner’s manual for the specific fluid for your vehicle.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, there is some controversy over Dexron VI in older vehicles. Some have claimed shifting issues, I have seen 0 issues. If your transmission is leaking, it might make it slightly worse. For a top up or filter change, just get Dexron VI as said. Unless someone put in Type F, it will work fine. Dexron VI I have a feeling may get replaced, it's like 85W140 compared to ATF for ZF 8 speed and probably other LV transmissions.

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
Drop the pan and do the filter as well.
I bought a stack of GM filters, wonder if their disco’d now.

let’s see your fix on the leak, I plan on doing my 350, there is 2 versions btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor