best gear ratio

jcelk

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2014
hello ll i got a 350 gm good wrench engine proformer intake 4 barrel carb 2 1/2 inch exhaust with a 350 thm trans with a 273 rear not very peppy what gear would work the best and can i get a open rear to hook if i put in air bags with he right side inflated a little ..this is street driven thanks for your input

This depends on a ton of factors - what is the tire height? You say it's a turbo350 so no overdrive. "Street driven" can mean a million things - lots of highway cruising? Will you be taking it to the strip? I had 3.90s with no overdrive and 26" tires before...lots of rpm on the highway, but worked perfectly at the track for what I wanted. I'm now going with 4.10s and a 28" tire with overdrive - best of both worlds to me.

Reactions: pagrunt and Rt Jam
right now i have 25 1/2 tires thinking of going with 26 inch tires could go bigger i will not take it to the track a little highway not much was thinking about a 7 1/2 open rear with air bags in the springs inflated a little on the right side to get traction has anyone had luck with that ?? and to make it fun around town. the 273 rear is underwhelming

right now i have 25 1/2 tires thinking of going with 26 inch tires could go bigger i will not take it to the track a little highway not much was thinking about a 7 1/2 open rear with air bags in the springs inflated a little on the right side to get traction has anyone had luck with that ?? and to make it fun around town. the 273 rear is underwhelming
I can’t help you with the bag question, but for gears I’d look at 3.42s or 3.73s.

Stock, low power goodwrench engines could use a bit of a sloppier converter and 3.42 or 3.73 on the street light to light without much highway driving. If you're concerned about traction, don't be. Get a limited slip unit while changing the gears and don't worry about bagging it. You're nowhere near the power level required for worrying about bag pressures. Unless you build that engine up, you're not going to be doing smoke shows with it most likely.

Since there wasn't much detail given, I'll stop right here.

I’ve got 410s with a 27 inch tire and a turbo 350. First gear is useless shift to second by the time you’re across an intersection. Absolutely worthless on the highway 3000 RPM at 60 mile an hour.

• Wow
Reactions: 86LK
If you're not trying to win races w/that mild small-block, 3.42's are a good compromise. More than what you have but not so much you can't stand a longish highway trip if warranted/desired (3154rpm @ 70mph). 3.42's would also work well if an overdrive trans is a possible future option.

After that? 3.73's. Extended highway jaunts won't be as friendly (3440prm @ 70mph).

Both will get you around town fine but over 3k rpm on the highway for more than an hour grows old fast.

It depends on how the car is driven overall. I'd say with a relatively stock Goodwrench 350, stock or mild street cam, 3;08's or 3;23 gears would give you some decent highway cruising and street performance with a TH 350. With overdrive, of course I'd go with 3'42 or 3;73 gears.

• Agree
Reactions: Rktpwrd and DRIVEN
Shame you don't have a manual. Have two cars in the stable that's got 2.73 rears/26" tires but running wide ratio Saginaws (3.11/2.20/1.47/1.00) & will have the take off like they have 3.31's but won't scream at highway speeds (1941 @ 55, 2294 @ 65). Both will be just cruisers but still will have something to get moving if needed. But I'd go with 3.08 with an auto with out overdrive, 3.42-.3.73 with overdrive.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor