Best generic brand tool find

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I generally buy warranted name brand tools. I have bought some generics / off brand / lower end for reason of price or expected use. Some have really surprised me with the value per dollar. Thought I would start a thread to help point out the diamonds in the rough. These should get the job done at an inexpensive price. May not be Snap-On quality but the right tool for the job. Does not have to be on Amazon or any place specific. I just could find the prices there when looking at what was actually still being used commonly of the tools I bought for one job.

- Workpro Pick and scraper set. $15.99 on Amazon. There are 9 pc in the set plus a tray to hold them in the tool cabinet drawer. Nice handles, have not bent when I use them. Cheaper than the GearWrench set I was looking at.

- RAM-PRO Spark Tester 6v - 12v. $7.99 on Amazon. It is a test light for spark plugs. Auto parts stores wanted double.

- Meriton 14mm specialty spark plug socket. $7.99 on Amazon. Go a MINI and needed a special socket for the spark plugs. Name brand are double or more.

- M-Jump abrasive cleaning stick. $6.49 on Amazon. It cleans sand paper and is cost less than the name brands. What it saves on sand paper cost is surprising when doing body work.

- Horusdy Vise Jaw Magnetic Grips. $9.99 on Amazon. Made of a soft material, attaches to the vise with magnets. Holds objects tight without marring the surface. Has cutouts for round objects. Best tool I bought to work with my vice. Only down side is do not use it when applying heat to an object. I did this and found they melt.

- OTC Drain Plug Remover. This was under $5 and I have used it every oil change I have done since I got it. It is a strong magnet with fingers on three sides. There is a flexible shaft attached to the magnet and a handle on the other end. You break the drain plug loose to the point that it is not yet leaking but the magnet can be placed on it. The turn the handle at the end of the flexible shaft and turn the plug the rest of the way off. No hot oil on you, drain plug is on the magnet and not lost in the pool of oil.

(might not be the same one)

- Generic branded fender covers. I have three of these, all different generic brands. They are a felt like material on one side and vinyl on the other. Great for protecting your fender.

- Generic shop towels (the blue paper towels). Runnings near me sells a generic brand that seems identical to the name brand but cost less per roll. Also has 6 packs that are even less per sheet / roll.

(Edited by GP403 to include links to products)

Last edited by a moderator:

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Hyper Tough Adjustable Filter Wrench Model 4209 $4.47 from wal-mart is far superior than trying to use a standard oil filter wrench. My duramax loves to get filters stuck on the block and this always breaks them free no problem.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Did you know there are different deburring bits for aluminum than steel/iron? I didn't, but these rock

Reactions: 1 user

DSPbuilt

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2016
Cape Coral, FL
Did you know there are different deburring bits for aluminum than steel/iron? I didn't, but these rock
I have a ton of different steel ones. And I would always get frustrated when I tried to use them on aluminum. It wasn’t till a few later that one of dad’s buddy showed me the aluminum bits. They really do have their place!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
***Edited OP's post to include links to all those products.

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
***Edited OP's post to include links to all those products.
Thanks for adding the links. The drain plug tool looks identical but has gone up in price over the years. I bought it several years back thought. The shop towels in the link are the name brand. The ones I have been getting at Runnings are an off brand for about $8 - $12 depending on the sale for 6 rolls.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor