Best junkyard upgrade for rear brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swink

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2018
San Marcos, Texas
Hey guys, long time G body owner here, but new poster. I'm finally getting around to upgrading the brakes on my 81 El Camino. I'm going with the Blazer spindle and hub swap for the front. But, I'm also interested in converting the rears to discs. The aftermarket kits are out of my budget, plus I prefer OEM stuff for brakes because I don't always trust the aftermarket guys to do all the R&D to make sure their product is safe. This car is my daily driver, but I'm trying to take it to the next level. No drag or race car, but more just to be able to take to autocross events and have a little more fun. So... long winded way to say, are there any good junkyard swaps for rear brakes? Do you have to swap out the whole axle and diff? I'm not opposed to that, my axle does leak slightly.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
98+ fbody rear brakes if keeping the gbody rear

94-04 mustang gt or mid/late 80s tbird turbocoupe or lincoln mark 7 if looking to swap complete rear.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
98+ fbody rear brakes if keeping the gbody rear

94-04 mustang gt or mid/late 80s tbird turbocoupe or lincoln mark 7 if looking to swap complete rear.

Hey, Are these rear ends a direct bolt in ? if not whats needed.

Thanks Doug

Kratos

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2017
Central Pa
7/8" rear wheel cylinders from an S10. Quick, easy and Cheap! I think these wheel cylinders were less than $7 from Rock Auto
IMG_1174.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
7/8" rear wheel cylinders from an S10. Quick, easy and Cheap! I think these wheel cylinders were less than $7 from Rock Auto View attachment 86228
Just did this one: wheel cylinders were $10ea and the braces were about $13ea, so about $50 total plus a new set of drill bits and new hardware (actually $100 total)... FML

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor