Best method for removing engine oil out of carpet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazarus

Greasemonkey
Dec 18, 2015
Monongahela Pa
Decided to take the Cutlass out for a 100 mile ride up to camp. When the P/O's $9.99 oil pressure gauge tube decided to grenade under the dash sending hot engine oil on my ankles and floor at 50 psi. 2 quarts to be exact. Sopped up most of it. The carpet was factory new condition. Not a spot nor tare or fade. Perfect! Sucks!!! Thinking good old fashioned dish liquid, garden hose and shop vac??

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
that stinks, sorry to hear. you'll have to weigh whether your time or your money are more important. it might be easier to replace the carpet(money) than to suck out and clean the carpet(time). you could also add some dynamat type product at the same time.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
Best method i found is to use a citrus based spray cleaner and a pressure washer. But you will need to remove the carpet from the car and do it on a nice sunny day. It will also allow you to get any oil that may be inder the carpet. You can also do the dynamat like suggested above

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think I would pull the carpet and either use a power washer or bring it to a car wash and maybe use Dawn detergent to get all the oil out.

montec

Apprentice
Feb 17, 2016
ND
I've done this a couple times. You can use a carpet cleaner to suck it out with dawn and way to hot to handle and a good stiff brush, or use a shop vac instead with the same dawn and hot water. I had 3qts out on mine long ago.

It doesn't take long, maybe an hour at the most.

Lazarus

Greasemonkey
Dec 18, 2015
Monongahela Pa
I have to pull the interior anyway to finish welding a few spots anyway. I'm going to try to power wash it. Right now luckily I have the burgundy interior so it looks fine until it's touched no real staining. Still have the line. Pulled from the dash now stuffed into the oil filler neck. Lmao self filling. Got to buy a new gauge or find a plug.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What kind of oil sender line did they use?

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
if you replace the gauge with another mechanical gauge i would suggest not using the plastic line. get the proper size copper line and make sure you make a small set of coils on the engine side of the fire wall and on the inside of the firewall and use a good grommet. the coils in the line will to isolate and avoid kinking the line or leaking prematurely. it is alittle more initial work but worth it in the long run

Lazarus

Greasemonkey
Dec 18, 2015
Monongahela Pa
What kind of oil sender line did they use?

Sold at advanced auto.....$9.99 bosh lol yup good old Chinese plastic. Honestly I decided to push the engine swap down the pike and dive into body / suspension work. The engine I found out is under 10,000 miles crate engine. Still doesn't have reverse. Put that off until my Christmas bonus. But the 307 sounds great got a tiny bit of oomph. So gauges or the 307 I really don't have any interests on. Got a platinum package AAA card free 500 mile tow and a big ol fat right foot. Goal here is to throw a rod through the hood and then transplant my 400.

Attachments

• IMG_20160306_161043769.jpg
    IMG_20160306_161043769.jpg
    712.5 KB · Views: 215
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor