Best option for a replacement Radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldsDad

Apprentice
Supporting Member
Mar 16, 2019
Southwest Michigan 49102
Just started installing the new engine in the 86 442 The 307 Spun a bearing last year. The new engine is a .60 over 455 with a Torquer Intake and a Mild Cam, transmission built by Extreme Automatics. I have not skimped on the $$$ The car currently has the factory Plastic tank radiator. The car will have the A/C and I don't want any over heating problems. I see couple different MFG of aluminum radiators but I don't have a clue where to begin. I am planning on running the stock fan and shrouding. The car will not be at the drag strip every weekend Just driving in the country Kicking it and also Cruising in town It gets pretty Hot here in Michigan in the summer and I don't want any Problems. Thanks for the advise

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
If you don't mind trimming the edge of the core support, the wider A body radiators do fit. How is the hood clearance with the 455?

Reactions: 1 user

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
If You're going to pay up:
Ron Davis
Griffin
Be Cool
Mishimoto

Those are the most common aftermarket Aluminum Radiators that are used in Resto-Mods, Pro-Touring, racing type builds. Then there's the cheap $h!t Champion, ECP, Summit etc that are made in China. Pretty much you're going to be going for a Universal type GM or 2nd Gen Camaro application (some x-reference to Gbody others don't list the Gbody since it's not exactly the same as 2nd Gen but close enough).

The only advertised "Direct Fit" Gbody radiator that I found was the "Cold Case" (a forum sponsor). I bought it. I will say that it fits (not quite a "Direct fit" since the rubber pads that hold the OE tanks don't line up with anything on the cold case) and with the stock clutch fan and Mr Gasket 160* Thermostat my car stays cool never saw over 190 last summer. I had the electric fan setup from Cold Case and it was a waste of money and it cost me dearly, since you're staying mechanical it's a non-issue. I'm pretty bitter about the electric fans.

The only other annoyance with the Cold Case is the nipple for the overflow/expansion tank hose is far too small. I will say that the Cold Case without the electric fans is probably the best bang for the buck even with 2 minor annoyances and I doubt anything other than stock would fit those rubber isolators correctly.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
CC162 should get it done without issue and it's a direct fit replacement.

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
My BeCool radiator in my 1985 442 is almost 20 years old now. Cools too good, had to go with a hotter thermostat.

I hope they still make them as good…it was pricey even back then. Just needed to replace the upper radiator hose with one from a 78 gbody iirc due to the OD size difference.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The only other annoyance with the Cold Case is the nipple for the overflow/expansion tank hose is far too small.
Could of gone my route, break it off trying to remove it then be forced to drill out & tap for the new brass nipple. Still wish I would of felt hoppy enough to drill it out to the next size NPT so I wouldn't have to use a adapter fitting. But I do have the correct size nipple now.

Reactions: 1 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
My younger brother purchased a radiator from Wizard Cooling in West Falls NY. Very nice unit, expensive but well worth the price plus they were local for us.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Thanks whose radiator is that CC162 you are referring to ?
That's a Champion radiator and they also have AE which is their American Eagle brand that will have larger 1" tubes versus .63" on the CC radiators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor