Best Rust treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny79

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2009
DC
Hey guys, what's the best way to deal with rust in the undercarriage (rear arms, frame rails, etc). I got a rear sway bar on ebay and want to give it the same treatment. Should I try to "kill" the rust before I paint it? Prime?

Thanks! :evil: < my son is watching me and wanting me to add that, ha...

i have become a pretty big fan of por-15. it givesi t a great looking tough finish and i haven't had any rust issues people that have used it longer can give you more info on how it does preventing rust. its a mess when you get it on your skin but i like it alot

X2 Por-15 hands down is the best next to powder coating

The absolute best way is sandblast and powdercoat. The next best is sandblast and POR or other treatment.

Well, I'm definitely not doing a frame-off resto, so how should I deal with the frame before I put on the POR? Mineral spirits and steel wool?

----------
Edit:

Nevermind see the 3 stage process (marine clean, prep, POR). Think I'll try that. Thanks!

Where do you get POR-15?

I just used POR-15 on my rearend the stuff it hard as nails. You buy a 3-stage kit, marine clean a (degreaser), then a metal prep for (etching) the metal so the paint sticks real good then 2-3 coats of POR-15. I only bought a quart and it did 3 coats on my rear end and my drive shaft, and 2 trailing arms, an alternator bracket and a steering shaft and i still have some left!

qestion, you say you did your rear end.. Can you cover up bolts with it? Will you still be able to get them off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor