Best way to clean under the hood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
1987 Monte Carlo 4.3 TBI stock

The engine compartment on my car is not filthy by car standards. It does look like a car that is driven around and used, normal grease build up etc. What is the best way to clean up this engine bay? I know not to just hit it with a pressure washer etc. Not looking for show but closer to off the lot look. All the original stock features are still working so I need to know what to look out for.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I like to hit it with some all purpose cleaner/degreaser, pressure washing, Scrubbing Bubbles, pressure washing, and some sort of dressing.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
When it's warm, spray some tire dressing foam in there, shut the hood, and wait five minutes. It will look like the used cars at the dealerships.

Reactions: 1 user

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I thought there were parts I may not want to take a chance of forcing water into.
This is true, but nothing some wrapping and protection can't fix. You don't spray water down the air induction setup, you just have to be smart about where you spray water, bag a few things for protection, use good judgment, and maybe use some water displacing contact cleaner in the event of a slight oops. Let it sit and dry good.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
1987 Monte Carlo 4.3 TBI stock

The engine compartment on my car is not filthy by car standards. It does look like a car that is driven around and used, normal grease build up etc. What is the best way to clean up this engine bay? I know not to just hit it with a pressure washer etc. Not looking for show but closer to off the lot look. All the original stock features are still working so I need to know what to look out for.
I like this guy's approach. He gets a pretty impressive result on the Mustang in the video....

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor