Best way to fill the hood ornament holes on a regal header?

regalman4925

regalman4925

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
Omaha Nebraska
It seems that one of the new impossible items to find for a regal/TR is the header panels. Luckily I have 2 standard regal headers in great shape but i need to fill the hole on one for the grand national. I have seen people in the past fill them with plastic filler but you can see the outline in the paint later on. What is the proper way to do this? I was thinking of using some filler to get it mostly filled in, tapper the edges down some and fiber glass a layer of cloth in. Any better ways?

regalman4925

regalman4925

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
Omaha Nebraska
I don't see how that is any different than using plastic filler. plastic filler is made from resin.

regalman4925

regalman4925

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
Omaha Nebraska
I ask myself that every time I post on the internet... Thanks for your input

gnvair

gnvair

Greasemonkey
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I have yet to see any one come up with a solution that works. The only thing I can see would be to cover the entire top of the header panel with thin matting.
The filling of the ornament hole always ends up sinking when simply filling and it is very visible on dark colored cars.

joesregalproject

joesregalproject

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I filled mine with fiberglass filler. I countersunk the hole on both sides and sanded the top smooth. My car is dark burgundy and it is not visible.

Bonnewagon

Bonnewagon

Geezer
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have then same problem on the Bonneville header. Fleming can you elaborate? Why are you sticking a screwdriver in it ?
push a small Phillips screwdriver in
I tried everything including marine grade epoxy and they all peeled away.

D

Doug Chahoy

G-Body Guru
Nov 21, 2016
every idea so far is mostly correct. I’d bevel top and bottom of the hole and work matt and resin from both sides. If you have the header off the car its easier. Do one side, wait till it sets up good, then do the other side. The inside is not important as far as being visible, so you can actually leave a bit extra spread out as reinforcement. Doing it as described you won’t get any sagging later.

regalman4925

regalman4925

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
Omaha Nebraska
Can I ask why everyone is suggesting using glass mat over cloth?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BOXCARS Buick Regal / T-Type / Grand National / GNX 9