Best way to fill the hood ornament holes on a regal header?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wagonman100

Apprentice
Jun 8, 2018
It doesn’t matter which you use, mat or cloth. They both are just reinforcement for the resin. I filled mine on my El Camino simply because I didn’t think an ornament looked good with the cowl hood. Plus I shaved the mirrors, handles, locks and tag insert so the cleaner the better. I roughed up the area where the ornament went, cut up some fiberglass cloth into short strands, saturated them with resin and spread them over the area. I ground it down when it dried and finished it off with normal body filler. Dynaglass body filler probably would have worked just as well. After a little while the materials shrunk a bit and you could see an outline, but it was still in primer, so I just did another light coat of metal glaze filler and reprimed and you could never see it again. It’s been painted now for over 15 years. The key is to give the materials time to shrink, as they all shrink a bit, even the primer. That is why most custom shops will get a car in primer and leave it sit for a while before doing a final blocking to let the materials shrink.

Reactions: 1 user

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
https://www.polyvance.com/video/polyurethane-repair
I've repaired plenty of fiberglass, which bevel grinding & mat/ resin is best & late model plastics which plastic welding is the best.
Never personally fooled with the yellow urethanes, but many of the specialty glues posted earlier are fine for it or hot melt glues specific for it.
Link to polyvance company was formerly called urethane supply co, so they still know a thing or 2 about it or any other bumper material.

Always best to use compatable product for appropriate repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor