Best way to install manual transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I am getting nearer to parking my El Camino and swapping out the TH 200 for an NV3500 5 speed. I was wondering if it would be easier to try and switch the transmissions out from under the car or to pull the motor and transmission as a unit. I can pull the shifter tower off I go in from the top, but that is a lot of weight to try to angle in on an engine lift.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I left the engine in place and installed my T5 WC from under the car but mine has a removable bellhousing and the T5 only weighs 75 lbs. For the 3500 transmission I think it would be easier to yank the engine and bolt on the transmission.

Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I probably will yank everything out to do the swap. When I put this combo in, my engine leveler had a hard time going from like 45 degrees tilted back to level though. It is not going to be very fun either way from what I can tell, but oh that 5 speed sweetness...

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I probably will yank everything out to do the swap. When I put this combo in, my engine leveler had a hard time going from like 45 degrees tilted back to level though. It is not going to be very fun either way from what I can tell, but oh that 5 speed sweetness...
I would leave the engine in the car, but that is just preference. If you pull the engine and then install it and the trans, you can help your leveler with a floor jack under the transmission.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
When I drop an engine in with the transmission attached I always have a friend to help. An engine on it's own is easy enough but with the transmission attached you need an extra set of eyes and hands.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
My dad has been dragging his feet on a Powerglide to Borg-Warner swap in his Biscayne because he says you need to shim the bellhousing to make sure the input shaft is lined up straight with the crank and such. (It's been a while since that conversation.) Is that just for scatter shields or something? It seems like everyone that does a swap just puts a pilot bearing in and bolts up a trans as though that's not a measurement to worry about.
???

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My dad has been dragging his feet on a Powerglide to Borg-Warner swap in his Biscayne because he says you need to shim the bellhousing to make sure the input shaft is lined up straight with the crank and such. (It's been a while since that conversation.) Is that just for scatter shields or something? It seems like everyone that does a swap just puts a pilot bearing in and bolts up a trans as though that's not a measurement to worry about.
???

the factory didn't worry about the T5 WC and bolted that up to any sbc that was in the car sol I did the same. 70 years ago they had a sticker on the bellhousing saying it could only be installed on this engine. We installed numerous older transmissions on our circle track cars without any concerns or problems

• Useful

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Don't need to remove the engine. Lots of room under there. Its easy peassy.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Leave engine in. I just pulled aTH 350 and put a Muncie in. R&R'd a bunch of trans in the day

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor