best way to lower a 1979 monte carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

19MC79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2011
I have a 1979 Monte Carlo that i have done paint and body, engine and transmission and interior. Now its time to do the suspension. My plan is to do 2" drop spindles and cut the back springs (its a Monte not worried if the back rides a little rough the thing floats) Wondering if anyone has any recommendations or tips that would be helpful. Thanks

19MC79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2011
Carlola said:
rear springs are cheap, cutting is more of a front thing.
my issue with buying rear springs is that from the forums Ive read people i talk to you never get the right height and end up modifying the new springs anyway to get it just right.

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011
The rears seem to be a specific shape, unlike the front i dont think they could be simply cut and then fit normal again. It may just take some time for the springs to relax down to the full drop. In the mean time throw some sandbags in the trunk....or fat chicks in the back :mrgreen:

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
you can't cut rear springs made for g body's because of the pigtail design, if you want to fine tune the rear ride height then you have to buy f body rear springs and isolators and cut those to desired height.

wade

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I cut my rear springs. I also took the stock isolator and cut it then ziptied it to the "new" spring end.

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK
You can also feather the springs some by the proper application of heat. I find it hard to do, but have done it.

Pics of your '79? That was my first car and I loved it. In fact, that's how I met my wife, I sold it to her. 8)

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
Carlola said:
The rears seem to be a specific shape, unlike the front i dont think they could be simply cut and then fit normal again. It may just take some time for the springs to relax down to the full drop. In the mean time throw some sandbags in the trunk....or fat chicks in the back :mrgreen:
X2 on the fat chicks :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor