Best way to lower a g-body and g-body galleries..

Status
Not open for further replies.

t_visker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2006
Brookings, SD
I was wondering whats the most satisfactory, easiest, and inexpensive way to lower a 87 cutlass supreme brougham RWD..

and also where can I get some galleries of g-body cars.. the one on this site is very small.. i was wondering if you guys have links to any more??

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS
i used these bracket type things from pepboys to raise my front end a bit they have 2 bolts and and 2 metal pieces and to raise you put them in between a coil on the springs and to lower you make it so it pulls 2 coils together you need 2 for each wheel and there like 10 bucks a pair

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS
i dont think its too dangerous i have used them to raise a few cars and lower one it was a 2002 gtp and he had some 19 in rims with 35s it looked funny he had no probs from may to august he sold the car long as you dont launch your car into the air you should be fine i think it lowered about an 1 1/2 to 2 inches

t_visker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2006
Brookings, SD
dangerous

does this cause stress or more pressure on the spring which could make it break aka causing an accident or death...

what do you guys know of other ways of lowering the car??

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
I sure wouldn't do it that way; that is so Mickey Mouse!

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
Why not get a set of lowering springs?

The rear springs aren't that difficult to install, requiring minimum removal of components (sway bar, if there, shock, rear tire). Just do one side at a time. The fronts are more difficult as you have to remove steering components and loosen the a-arms. Whether front or rear be careful and support the springs/weight as even a weak one can come flying out. Too much to list/detail here for te procedures but it is not that bad of a job.

The springs might be a little more $$$ than the small brackets but you'll get better results. Check PST as they have the front and rear springs for under $100 a set (front or rear). I beleive they drop a g-body about 1 to 1-1/2" all around. I think they are progressive-rate too.

If u do not want to throw the front end out of wack and possibly not get a good aligment I recomend drop spindle. I know thay expensive. But it does not mess with ur aligment at all. Go with spring in the rear.

As for the spring clamp. To dangerous, imagen what could happen they just failed when u are going 55mph around a bend. All I can say nice to meet you. It will basically cause the spring to release its pressure at the wrong time and would cause u to loose control of ur car. Plus imagen what would happen to ur tire or oil pan plus the people around u. To Dangerous IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor