Beware The Parts Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriscris

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 9, 2020
Campbellville, Ontario
Probably well known with this company, but I got duped.
Forgive me for venting, I have never complained publically, but in this case I cannot hold it in.
In a nutshell, I wanted an original set of rubber body bushings for my 87 MCSS.
TPP has on their site "factory replacements" "not generic universal", for over double what others sell.
So I went for it. Guess what, a generic set shows up, and never got a please or sorry or thank you, just arguements and it was like I was bothering them.
I am tempted to return everything, but 25% restocking blows.
Chalk up another life experience.
I should have heeded the reciew warnings.....

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Most of the time you can find the same junk they sell at other places. Sometimes not, but do some searching.

TPP isn't the best in the business. Their business model kinda sucks as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Probably well known with this company, but I got duped.
Forgive me for venting, I have never complained publically, but in this case I cannot hold it in.
In a nutshell, I wanted an original set of rubber body bushings for my 87 MCSS.
TPP has on their site "factory replacements" "not generic universal", for over double what others sell.
So I went for it. Guess what, a generic set shows up, and never got a please or sorry or thank you, just arguements and it was like I was bothering them.
I am tempted to return everything, but 25% restocking blows.
Chalk up another life experience.
I should have heeded the reciew warnings.....
I mean, if the ad says "not generic universal" and the bag in the box says "universal", open a charge back with your debit card / bank/ credit card for goods not as described.

You get a full refund, and, if the merchant wants the goods back they can send a prepaid return label.

Restocking fees wouldn't apply.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
as far as I'm concerned Kevin's the parts place and there's no need to beware of dealing with him..

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I’ve had good luck with them lately. Dixie Restoration is a rip. I paid almost $200.00 for rear kick panels for my Elco delivered. They are total garbage. Not even half as thick as originals. They don’t have the upper lip that holds the panel at the quarter window. And worst of all I have to pay shipping to send them back. I won’t even start about they’re front inner fenders.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
as far as I'm concerned Kevin's the parts place and there's no need to beware of dealing with him..
We need to negotiate bulk Canada Post prices to repatriate non-sunburned old stock parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
I’ve had good luck with them lately. Dixie Restoration is a rip. I paid almost $200.00 for rear kick panels for my Elco delivered. They are total garbage. Not even half as thick as originals. They don’t have the upper lip that holds the panel at the quarter window. And worst of all I have to pay shipping to send them back. I won’t even start about they’re front inner fenders.
Not to hijack this thread but a negative comment was made toward us and I feel I should address it.

Doug: I’m very sorry that our communication has broken down. I did my best to explain this situation and I apologize if I was unclear. You can see throughout this forum that customer service is something we take very seriously. We are the only company that manufacturers El Camino bottom rear kick panels because there is insufficient market demand for larger companies to justify the exorbitant expense of factory-style tooling. Seeing this hole in the market, we opted to reproduce these rear kick panels as best we could, using reasonably priced molds, techniques, and easily repeatable processes. We have sold north of 1,000 pairs of kick panels over the years and have had relatively few problems. Our track record tells us that what we’ve made is a suitable replacement for most people, despite not being identical to the GM originals. Clearly, our efforts are not good enough for you, and that’s OK. As we discussed on the phone, we are happy to accept the panels back for a refund. We normally don’t cover the cost of return shipping unless an error was made on our part. In the spirit of compromise, I offered to sell you a return shipping label at our cost, which would have been considerably less than what you would have paid at the post office or a UPS/FedEx store. As a gesture of good faith, please contact us privately with the weight and dimensions of the return package so that we can email you this return label free of charge.

Thank you,
Rob

Reactions: 10 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Not to hijack this thread but a negative comment was made toward us and I feel I should address it.

Doug: I’m very sorry that our communication has broken down. I did my best to explain this situation and I apologize if I was unclear. You can see throughout this forum that customer service is something we take very seriously. We are the only company that manufacturers El Camino bottom rear kick panels because there is insufficient market demand for larger companies to justify the exorbitant expense of factory-style tooling. Seeing this hole in the market, we opted to reproduce these rear kick panels as best we could, using reasonably priced molds, techniques, and easily repeatable processes. We have sold north of 1,000 pairs of kick panels over the years and have had relatively few problems. Our track record tells us that what we’ve made is a suitable replacement for most people, despite not being identical to the GM originals. Clearly, our efforts are not good enough for you, and that’s OK. As we discussed on the phone, we are happy to accept the panels back for a refund. We normally don’t cover the cost of return shipping unless an error was made on our part. In the spirit of compromise, I offered to sell you a return shipping label at our cost, which would have been considerably less than what you would have paid at the post office or a UPS/FedEx store. As a gesture of good faith, please contact us privately with the weight and dimensions of the return package so that we can email you this return label free of charge.

Thank you,
Rob

That sounds like a pretty reasonable offer..
Guy

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My experiences with both vendors discussed here have been good.

• Agree

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
TPP descriptions leave a lot to be desired because they seem to be loose with the idea of what they list as "maybe" GM parts and what's repros as they simply toss out a part number on it like somehow that validates their part as a genuine GM part. From 50 feet away, it's hard to tell via pictures sometimes. Plus, whoever does their ebay ads are butting up close to the edge of the envelope of crossing the line into false advertising in their descriptions. I always assume it's a repro when they advertise they have 45 or so of the same item for sale, though, especially when you can get the same part from somewhere else. Although, I must admit, you can accumulate 45 or more of a lot of GM parts over the years.

Like this Malibu front header emblem. If yours is torn up or missing, this may be a decent replacement. However, they don't tell you it's a repro, although they've sold over 250 of them apparently.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=352723219102

When you buy online with TPP, you have NO idea what your final bill is out the door until they decide what they're going to charge you for shipping and they hold your credit card hostage for a percentage until they can figure out what the shipping finally happens to be. I could see it if you were buying something huge or mass quantities that needed custom freight charges, but not something that fits in a 4"x4"x4" cube box. This is why I do not care for their business model.

With that said, the revealed price several days later when they did finally ship part of the order, the price was reasonable, and as a positive, they don't charge your card until they actually ship. But we live in a day and age where accurate shipping calculators are available for online businesses just about everywhere. Not knowing what you're paying for in shipping sucks. I like paying my bills when I know the exact debt that I owe.

But no matter the reviews/critiques, be it good or bad, I definitely am thankful that there are repro parts available for G-bodies. Without them, we'd be f*cked.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor