Big Block Install Threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
Covington, Va
I've been searching for an hour and cannot find much on putting a big block in a Monte Carlo. If you guys could post links to threads you know have good big block install info and pictures in here, that would be awesome.

I don't know if it is because the signatures on here have so many references to engine sizes or what but I get nowhere with the search features.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I have put all manner of big blocks in all manner of G-body, what would you like to know?

You will require a car/Chevelle oil pan.

The Hooker 2241 headers fit with solid motor mounts, I have butchered a set of clamshells and they will work with stock mounts. These have several tubes that slip fit, and are all inside the frame rail. I have heard of complaints of the slip fittings leaking, mine don't, but, I run 3-4" exhaust systems. The 2241's do not get along with full size starters or kick-out style oil pans. If you do run a kick out oil pan, changing the oil filter is a whole new headache. Manifolds do fit. Gotta swap the front coil springs. A stock intake from a truck application will fit with a stock hood. A/C box will clear with short OEM style valve covers. Some guys do use Hooker 2455 ('70-81 BBC Camaro) headers with mods to lower control arm mounts/bolts or to an offending header tube.

Stock three core radiators will keep up with a mild BBC with a good shroud and fan clutch. The aluminum Camaro/Firebrd unit does a decent job (most replacement radiators are similar).

TH400 is a tight fit on the floor pan if engine is left in the OEM location, but does fit. Older GM TH400 electric kick downs do fit the throttle pedal mount.

None of it is body type specific. I have done Buick 350 & 455s into Regals, Olds 350, 403, & 455s into Cutlasses, Pontiac 400 & 455 into LeMans & GPs, 472/501 Caddy into Cutlass & Malibu. 350, 383, 396 & 454+ into all of the above.

Traction becomes an very apparent hurdle.

I use aftermarket transmission cross-members because I can buy one cheaper than I can fab it up.

Vortec truck ('96-99 not LS) starters are small and strong.

I have posted up picks, I have an orange 468/TH350 grudge car and an El Co that is 454-4 gear...among many other projects.

Found one thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37717#.UcXMHjMo7bU

TerryD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
Covington, Va
Thanks! All that helps! Have you ever done a big block/manual transmission swap? I'm looking to use a Camaro T5 behind a stock 99 truck 7.4 in a 84 SS. I'm sure the trans will not be long for this world but it is what I have right now and should det me up for a stronger 6 speed in the future.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
My El Co ('78 GMC Caballero) has a stone stock dually 454 backed up by the Saginaw four gear. The car was a non-air, manual steering, V6 four speed. It is running stock exhaust manifolds. I did add a 3.42 posi, lift bars and an air bag in the rear passenger spring. I total rip to drive, I went back and added a W-S6 steering box, because it was a double handful with manual steering.

There are a few versions of the T5 out there...S10 vs Camaro/Firebird. The T5 has this 15-20* tilt that is in the mounting pattern on an F-body bell housing. The trans mount and shifter are titled as well. G-body takes a G-body or 82-84 Camaro/Firebird specific bell housing. You can have an OEM one welded up and re-drilled. Now the throw out forks are available (or were for a bit).

On my El Co, I had a bell housing heli-arc'd up and re-drilled and tapped for the correct pivot ball geometry. I opened up the throw out fork hole and used a normal, off-the-shelf GM fork. It works and is in service. I made a template for re-drilling or modding bell housings and even made/converted 10, I have sold them all....

By the way, I may be beating a dead horse, but, they never offered a 350 5-speed set up because the T5 isn't rated for the torque a TBI or TPI 350 makes. That said, street guys seem to have some luck with them. The reason I mentioned S10 was the shifter is in a forward location to clear a bench seat. V6 transmissions have a different length input shaft and require an adapter, they do not have the funky F-body tilt.

Okay, now, there is the option of a 'normal' bell housing and going to juice/hydraulic clutch using Camaro/Firebird set-up and there is/was a company that offers an off-the-shelf clutch pedal for G-body with this set up...secure as much of the clutch master/slave cylinders and such as you can from the donor car.

http://www.gsi-interiorss.com/search?se ... ing=clutch

Seems like an easy way to go. I would allow headers would not be a hassle with that sort of set-up, although I have no experience with it personally.

Get you a car pan for your Gen 5 motor. Not sure if yours has the oil cooler set-u on it. It may have the good/better Vortec 7400 big oval ports on it (L29).

mwellssr

n00b
May 1, 2012
I have a 1980 Malibu with a 454 bbc & th400 trans. Everything fits fine except the headers which are the hooker 2455's. I've trimmed the motor mount on the drivers side, I've trimmed the lower control arms on both sides and im still catching hell with getting them to fit snug against the block for me to bolt them down. What am i missing that I need to do??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
I have a Bib Block thread in my 82 Malibu Wagon Thrash thread. Pretty inclusive. i am running Hooker 2455s too, They interfered with the motormounts and control arms, but with trimming, it's bearable.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I have seen some guys have to move the forward tube on 2455's. Also, what motor mounts/clam shells are you using? They come in different heights for can vs truck applications.

mwellssr

n00b
May 1, 2012
Bar50 said:
I have seen some guys have to move the forward tube on 2455's. Also, what motor mounts/clam shells are you using? They come in different heights for can vs truck applications.
im using the stock 80 malibu clam shells and ive all but completley butchered them i dont know what else to do unless someone knows something i dont which i really hope is the case

TerryD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
Covington, Va
Thanks for all the advice guys. Bar50, I'm looking at trying to get a higher rated 6speed now as I've worked a trade out with my Dad on my old Camaro and he is going to do a 5 speed swap on it with the stuff I had. Thanks for the link to the clutch pedal, that will really help out alot and I'm going to try to use the hydro stuff for the 94+ Fbody for clearance.

I've seen alot of issues with headers. Does anyone make a good, ceramic coated header that fits without all the cutting you guys are describing. I'm not against spending $500 for a good set that I don't have to mess with as this will be the way the car will stay from here on out.

What kind of front springs do you guys run? I'm not crazy about lowering it much, 1" would be ok but I'm not wanting it super low. I lowered my Camaro and it was rougher riding than I wanted and I'm wanting something comfortable when it is all said and done. A/C, cruise, et-al.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor