Big difference in counter help !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I just changed the oil and filter in my Monte the other day and I noticed that the drain plug was stripped,so off to my local NAPA I go.
The best person there is a young lady name of Paige,but she was on the phone when I got there.
So Doug helped me,and I have known Doug for many years and I do like him,and in most cases he is pretty good,but with something like this he wasn't much help.He didn't know how to measure my old plug and was going to send me out the door with a Metric thread plug and not the SAE plug that I needed.
By this time Paige was off the phone and I asked her if I had the right plug,and right away she got the plastic thread gauge and found that the one Doug had picked out was the wrong thread and she determined that I needed a 1/2 inch X 20 thread.
So I was able to leave with the correct part and finish my oil change,big thanks to Paige !!!
Guy

Reactions: 4 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Paige rocks and Doug well not so much.
How did you end up stripping an oil pan drain plug in the first place and what do the threads in the pan look like as a result of this.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm thinking it was the head of the plug that was stripped or rounded....as for the counter people there are go to people in all the part stores I go to and if they are busy I take a look at the stuff on the racks until they are free....

Reactions: 3 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
I think that the plug stripped when I took it out as it came out hard.
I ran the correct size tap in and the threads in the pan appear to be fine and the new plug tightened up and is leak free.
Guy

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
I'm thinking it was the head of the plug that was stripped or rounded....as for the counter people there are go to people in all the part stores I go to and if they are busy I take a look at the stuff on the racks until they are free....

Yes it was stripped at the head.
Guy

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Yes it was stripped at the head.
Guy
I was thinking threads since it would have been easy enough for Doug to turn the new and old bolt opposite of each other and mesh the threads to verify thread pitch.
So in retrospect Doug doesn't rock at all.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Not all Dougs are made the same, the Doug on this forum rocks....:)

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
When I first started buying parts at this store they had two really good guys on the counter,Bill & Paul,and they were awesome.
Then Bill quit to go elsewhere and that left Paul.
Then Paul quit to go elsewhere and that's when Paige came in from another NAPA,Thank God for that !!
There are a couple of other counter guys there,and some of them actually make Doug look pretty good,as hard to believe as that may sound, LOL.
Guy

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It took me 3 different local autoparts stores to find the right length v-belt for my custom passenger side ac compressor set up on my Regal and then I ended up ordering the same length but a little wider in a Continental belt from Summit and took the local one back.

Reactions: 3 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
The world needs more like Paige.Parts people aren't what they used to be that's for sure but neither are cars and car parts these days..i do miss the older part guys that when you ordered a hub and bearing they'd send you the snap ring because they knew you needed it but forgot to order it.
i bought a line loc one day,it was in a case so i needed help getting getting it as it wasn't on the shelf.the kid says "oh ok what kinda car is it for?"....Sure he was just doing his job but going to autozone and ask for help with wipers and they ask is it two or four wheel drive.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor