Bilstein shock differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'm looking at getting Bilstein shocks for my Malibu. As I look at the listings for these shocks, there are 2 different types listed. 1 is a heavy duty, and the other is called the AK series. The heavy duty prices at about $15.00 more per shock. Does anyone know if there are any major differences between the 2 types? Is one better than the other? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Generally one is valved for comfort and other for sport. It is basically the difference between a GN and a pillow roofed velour bench Regal.

If you push on the fender of a car with comfort Bilsteins, its like a fluffy cloud. If you push on a fender with sport bilsteins, it pushes back.

My XJ8 Jaguar has Comfort Bilsteins, my XK8 Jaguar has sport Bilsteins and the difference is night/day in feel when you push on a fender.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the Bilstein heavy duty is a self adjusting shock, the AK series is linear. With a linear shock you know the compression and rebound rates.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
One other thing with the AK series is they have a stock length and a short version

• Informative

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks Mike. I'm working with the old cast iron small block. I put Bilsteins (can't remember the number now) on my Monte SS, and I'm very pleased with the results. The description that I read between the 2 different lines of Bilsteins was kind of vague, so I was trying to see if anyone could provide some more details. Thanks for the link to your thread.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I'm planning on going with Moog 5660 springs suggested in an early thread. The HD Bilsteins I was looking at say they are for use with stock springs. Will this combo work?

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
As long as the 5660 spring doesn't go above the stock ride height, it should work. The 5660 springs that I'm going to use have had 1 coil removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor