Bizarre Starting Issue 83 El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolthisisnuts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2021
So I have been driving myself nuts for the past few weeks. I have a no start no crank situation. If I turn the key to the on position the lights work, dashboard lights up, fuel pump turns on etc. The battery is brand new and holds a charge. So I thought it might be the starter. I changed the starter. Put a test light on it, there is power going to the starter and solenoid. The ground is also good. So yesterday I finish up the installing the new starter and go to start the car and BOOOM cranks right over and starts. Today I go back into my garage go to start the car and same thing happens. No start/no crank. The lights work, dashboard lights up, fuel pump turns on, battery is charged. I crawl under the car with the test light and the starter and solenoid are getting power. The ground is also good. So I'm stumped. I tried to start it in both park and neutral and that does not work. The only thing I can think of is the ignition lock cylinder needs to be replaced. Curious to hear what everyone thinks.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Lock cylinder has nothing to do with it, assuming it's not binding.

Is the rod pushing the switch fully to the "crank" position?

Did you check for a weak/intermittent fusible link at the starter? (wiggle test)

Did you check for weak/intermittent crank wire at solenoid? (Wiggle test)

Did you try using a jumper on the neutral safety switch?

Anything been changed, removed & replaced or altered lately?

Reactions: 1 user

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Does it start with the key in the run position and apply 12V to the starter solenoid.

Reactions: 1 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
So I have been driving myself nuts for the past few weeks. I have a no start no crank situation. If I turn the key to the on position the lights work, dashboard lights up, fuel pump turns on etc. The battery is brand new and holds a charge. So I thought it might be the starter. I changed the starter. Put a test light on it, there is power going to the starter and solenoid. The ground is also good. So yesterday I finish up the installing the new starter and go to start the car and BOOOM cranks right over and starts. Today I go back into my garage go to start the car and same thing happens. No start/no crank. The lights work, dashboard lights up, fuel pump turns on, battery is charged. I crawl under the car with the test light and the starter and solenoid are getting power. The ground is also good. So I'm stumped. I tried to start it in both park and neutral and that does not work. The only thing I can think of is the ignition lock cylinder needs to be replaced. Curious to hear what everyone thinks.
I second what 81 regal said, apply +12V to the solenoid, and see if it starts that way.

Do this over a few days, in different weather conditions if possible, to rule out any environmental related reasons.

If it starts up every time, then you know it's electrical related. If not, then chances are it may be mechanical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor