Blazer Rear Sway Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Looking for additional info on using a Blazer rear sway bar on our G Bodys.

From my research on the forums here I have concluded that the rear bar from a 98-05 Blazer 2DR is what will work. I understand to get all of the mounting hardware but I am wondering how the linkages will mount to the frame. I know drilling is required on the frame if I'm not mistake, but the linkages I've seen from the Blazers in the junkyard mount differently than how I would imagine they mount from drilling to the frame. Can someone confirm what linkages to use and as always photos of install, mounting, etc are always appreciated too. I'm looking to do the front and rear suspension all at once and want to get all of my parts together before tackling the project.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looking for additional info on using a Blazer rear sway bar on our G Bodys.

From my research on the forums here I have concluded that the rear bar from a 98-05 Blazer 2DR is what will work. I understand to get all of the mounting hardware but I am wondering how the linkages will mount to the frame. I know drilling is required on the frame if I'm not mistake, but the linkages I've seen from the Blazers in the junkyard mount differently than how I would imagine they mount from drilling to the frame. Can someone confirm what linkages to use and as always photos of install, mounting, etc are always appreciated too. I'm looking to do the front and rear suspension all at once and want to get all of my parts together before tackling the project.
From what I recall from a past thread regarding the Blazer rear swaybar. The ends of the bar had to be straightened somewhat to interact properly with the end links. It required having to heat the ends.

PontiacGP (Steve) mentioned using this bar or the F-body bar....I don't recall exactly which one for sure. I'm sure Steve will chime in when he sees this post and fill you in.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The F-body bar is what needs straightened. It's not actually the frame rails that need to be drilled; it's the brace that runs between the control arm forward mounting points. Once you get the axle tube brackets installed, put the end links up, and that's where you drill. It looks pretty straight forward from what I've seen; I just haven't seen any donor vehicles around these parts.

Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
2dr blazer points backwards and sits on the top of the axle, putting it on a G body moves it under the diff and points forward. A 4dr has the fuel tank in the spot behind the axle and the swaybar sits in a spot that doesn't work on a G body. 4wd and 2wd are the same from what I can tell.

A 3rd gen is good and fits BUT you have to heat and bend the ends inward since they flare out a few inches at the ends.

Stock blazer 2dr bar is 1" diameter.

1572014539211.png

1572014745991.png

• Useful
Reactions: 8 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
2dr blazer points backwards and sits on the top of the axle, putting it on a G body moves it under the diff and points forward. A 4dr has the fuel tank in the spot behind the axle and the swaybar sits in a spot that doesn't work on a G body. 4wd and 2wd are the same from what I can tell.

A 3rd gen is good and fits BUT you have to heat and bend the ends inward since they flare out a few inches at the ends.

Stock blazer 2dr bar is 1" diameter.

View attachment 126726
View attachment 126727
So 2dr Blazer is the preferred one then??

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
So 2dr Blazer is the preferred one then??

Yeah, 4dr points back and mounts with newer ball joint style end links. If you welded a stud to the chassis and used this style end link I think it would be a more stuff system since there isnt the deflection of the bushings, but its more fab work.

1572016910275.png

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
2-dr Blazers aren't as plentiful as the 4-dr versions. so, I'm guessing the next best choice would be the F-body rear bar. I like your setup, Jake. That's how I'd want mine to look.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
There are 2 other options besides the blazer stock 2dr or F body rear bar. However, its a $250 project vs. $50 for a stock blazer bar.

First, aftermarket 2dr blazer bar, its 1.25" vs 1" stock
https://www.jegs.com/i/Bell+Tech/14...MI-PjSxe635QIVhIbACh1XswnoEAQYASABEgK_u_D_BwE

Or the hellwig, witch is 1"

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
From what I recall from a past thread regarding the Blazer rear swaybar. The ends of the bar had to be straightened somewhat to interact properly with the end links. It required having to heat the ends.

PontiacGP (Steve) mentioned using this bar or the F-body bar....I don't recall exactly which one for sure. I'm sure Steve will chime in when he sees this post and fill you in.

I used one from an F body GTA, I had the GTA front bar so I figured they'd work well together. I had to bend in the arms about an 1" per side and used the stock hardware and used a hole on the lip on the cross member to mount it. For the axle tube I used a 3" u bolt and the stock hardware on the bar. I have a 3" tube on the 8.2 rear I have, if you have a 7.5" rear end they axle tube is a bit smaller

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor