Blazer Spindle Oddity

Status
Not open for further replies.

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
Hey, been a long time since I've posted. Will probably do a introductory thread someday because I have a lot to show off now :LOL:

So I swapped on Blazer spindles on my GP a few years ago and installed a bump steer kit recently. I was about to work on doing a initial alignment for it when I noticed that there's different clearances between the passenger side and the drive side tie rod end mounting points compared to the wheels.

I'm assuming this isn't normal right? Maybe I just grabbed the wrong passenger side knuckle when I did this a few years ago? Or maybe it was bent on the truck it was pulled from?

WuwT3AV.jpg

cvJ5kZI.jpg

Wheels are both 16x8 IROC fronts there in those pictures

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Yeah, somethings not right. I'm guessing the left side spindle is bent.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Squag27

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2021
West Palm Beach FL
Those are definitely both 2WD spindles. Looks like the driver's side is bent as the top of it where the tie rod nut sits is at about a 15 degree angle on the driver's side and pretty much horizontal on the passenger's. I'll have to take some pictures of my blazer spindles when I get home for comparison.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It does look bent the more I look at it. Yeah, the 4WD spindles won't work.

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
So I was going to just order a new passenger side spindle but it makes sense now that it's the driver side that's bent like you've all said. For sure they are both 2wd spindles since there's no pass through for the cv joint behind the wheel bearing.

The passenger side tie rod nearly touches the wheel and the driver side has almost 2" of space there.
I'm going to make a junkyard run this weekend now, looks like there's a few 2wd S10's in the local yard that I can pull a knuckle from. I'm thinking of just grabbing both sides just in case the truck I pulled it from was fubar and both are slightly bent.

Glad I caught this before I went and had an alignment done though

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
So I was going to just order a new passenger side spindle but it makes sense now that it's the driver side that's bent like you've all said. For sure they are both 2wd spindles since there's no pass through for the cv joint behind the wheel bearing.

The passenger side tie rod nearly touches the wheel and the driver side has almost 2" of space there.
I'm going to make a junkyard run this weekend now, looks like there's a few 2wd S10's in the local yard that I can pull a knuckle from. I'm thinking of just grabbing both sides just in case the truck I pulled it from was fubar and both are slightly bent.

Glad I caught this before I went and had an alignment done though
Just remember that S10 will not work. If you meant Blazer, my apologies. 1998 -2005 Blazer is what you are looking for. I have pair now if you don't find a set locally. I can ship them Thursday or Friday.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
Didn't realize there was a difference between them, looks like the s10 spindles are exactly the same as the g-body OEM spindles then, crap

There is one 2wd blazer in the local LKQ but it's been in an accident so it's possible it's pretty messed up too. Found another yard though now that has 8 blazers, but no information about them aside from a front end picture. 2 of them have a front angle picture showing a cv joint shaft so it looks like there's 6 left to look at.

Seems like ordering online is going to run me ~$220 after shipping compared to $80/set in the local yards. Might order a set just for insurance in case the yards don't have what I need, I'm leaving for Power Tour on Friday next week so I have to have the car ready by then.

Reactions: 1 user

Squag27

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2021
West Palm Beach FL
Check FB marketplace or Craigslist for parts cars too. That's where I found my set. Also as promised here are the pics of how mine sit. You can see that both sides are pretty flat at the tie rod nut mount.

Attachments

• PXL_20210811_161819322.jpg
    PXL_20210811_161819322.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 105
  • PXL_20210811_161743023.jpg
    PXL_20210811_161743023.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I thought most people on the forum knew I usually had these for sale. I have a pair in stock, and got him fixed up (y).

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor