Blazer spindles and UMI control arms

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I removed ALL the stock stuff over 2 years ago. Installed UMI control arms and Blazer spindles at the same time.
The lack of angle was there the moment it was all bolted on.

To call it a problem is not a true description but there was more angle before with all the stock components. So it's either the lower arms or the spindles. The steering box is not traveling as much as before. I can recognize the number of steering wheel turns is less.

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Just mocked up driver side before I start cutting. Steering box is fully to the left, suspension is at full droop and the spindle is hitting the arm at the stop. Both arms have taller ball joints and you can see the amount of steering i have left. I did not verify with stock arms what it was. I’m not worried about steering angle with this as I’d hate to have the box fully locked out and have the arm be pulling on it. 0A2F4E36-F8BF-4881-9784-EC7E3A7CF080.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Can you swap to a stock spindle and see what the difference would be? Even if it's just for mock up. Curious as to which part is the source of the issue.

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
Can you swap to a stock spindle and see what the difference would be? Even if it's just for mock up. Curious as to which part is the source of the issue.
Just slammed on a stock spindle on the umi arms. Same exact thing as the blazer spindles. Before I put this fully together in the next couple days I’ll try to find time to put the stock arms on with stock spindles just for reference

Reactions: 4 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
So it must be the arms. My problem is without the aluminum discs which will reduce the travel even further.

At this point the only solution is see is to grind down the stopper pad on the UMI lower control arm.

Lilmac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2017
Mass
I'm no expert and I'm only mentioning this because I just did my swap, BMR arms with blazer spindle and I almost did this myself. Is it possible you have the upper arms on the wrong sides ??? It's very deceiving....

Attachments

• 20230324_134640.jpg
    20230324_134640.jpg
    813.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
I've got 1/2" upper and lower ball joints, UMI uppers, and stock lowers, I didn't have that issue. I'll get a picture tomorrow, hoping to get the springs swapped out.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
The UMI stuff is a direct replacement as well as the S10 spindles. UMI has specific arms for stock height ball joints or 1/2in. You obviously are totally out of whack in what you have done.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor