Blazer Spindles with C5 Calipers On 17'' Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelbywh89

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2016
Hello, Guys
I have a question and wanted to see if anybody was running the C5 Calipers on the blazer spindles with 17'' wheels. I already got the blazer brake upgrade and wanted to do the C5 brakes but didn't know if it would fit and didn't know if 2'' of rotor was worth new wheels and tires.

Thanks Guys.

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
I have C5 front calipers with Blazer spindles 17" US Wheels Retros on my MC currently. They barely fit, the fins of the caliper barely clear the wheel haha I had to put a 5mm spacer on the rotor so the spokes wouldn't hit the caliper. Also, be aware of where the wheel weights are. I had a wheel with the weights going over the caliper and they would hit..so be aware of that as well. It was a simple swap, i highly recommend it.

Reactions: 1 user

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
What you gain in rotor diameter, you loose with caliper clamping force with the C5 brake conversion.

The Blazer caliper has 1.81" diameter pistons versus the Corvette's 1.59" diameter pistons. In the braking world, this is a huge difference in clamping force. To match the clamping force of the Blazer calipers, you would have to increase the size of the vacuum booster (easier solution) or reduce the master cylinder bore diameter down to 7/8". A 7/8" bore master cylinder may be impractical with the angle of a g-body firewall. There are not a lot of 7/8" bore master cylinder options that work with the g-body angle.

A better choice, in my opinion, with a C5 brake conversion is to use a 1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird caliper that has 1.77" diameter pistons. They say there is more caliper flex over the Corvette caliper, but it is more likely from the larger clamping forces created from the F-body caliper's larger pistons. If you have a C5 brake conversion already, you will notice the difference in braking performance going to a 1998-2002 F-body caliper.

If you do NOT have brake fade, you do NOT need larger rotors. If you DO have brake fade, this can be mitigated with a more aggressive pad that works better in higher heat, but you may loose some streetability with a more aggressive pads. A more aggressive pad is a much cheaper route than a C5 brake conversion. Streetability will depend on the pad you choose and the type of driving you do.

The C5 brake conversion looks great in an open spoke wheel. If you do want to go that route, buy the 17" wheels you want first that will work with the C5 brake conversion with a 1998-2002 F-body caliper. Granted the F-body caliper is not as good looking. The 17" wheels, more than likely, will work with the Blazer brake setup you have now.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor