Blinker Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

amanley

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2016
Let me start off saying I'm not super mechanically inclined, but I try. I don't have money to throw at a mechanic. Especially the kind we have around here! I'm having a light issues with my 1981 Buick regal. Blinkers don't work at all I tried replacing flasher no joy there. If I turn hazards on they work, at least the rear do no flashing up front.

Also my running/parking lights are not working. I've replaced all the bulbs considering it didn't have any to began with I've used the correct bulbs.. If I turn on my lights hazards stop working. If try to use the blinker switch It turns solid if I were turning left, but If I used it if I were turning right nothing at all, but the bulb may be out in the dash. Can anyone give me some pointers on what to trouble shoot? Buddy of mine said it was column switch not sure if he meant the switch or the actual lever. Any help would be much appreciated.
PS Sorry for Wall o' Text.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Do you have a test light? Do you have a Volt/Ohm (multi) meter? Any experience with reading wiring diagrams? If not it's o.k. you can learn. You can clean up the grounds but you need either a test light or multi meter to go farther. The grounds for the front lights will be tied to the radiator support on both sides. Just follow the wires. Remove the screw that secures the ring terminal to the radiator support. Clean up the terminal and the area on the support it contacts with sand paper or a small wire brush. You want shiney bare metal in that small area of contact. After I put it back together, I like to apply a little dielectric grease over the terminal to help keep moisture out. Try that and report back. Here are some helpful links....

http://www.searshardwarestores.com/...r?store=5196&gclid=CMzLl9m1-dMCFQ-maQodx40Pxg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...CBwwAA&usg=AFQjCNG1pQnN1Blds0RT_sXEWhf494f-WA

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...CFQwBg&usg=AFQjCNE4nsPrpm9yE-lr5t3_gEAuwl82sA
FrontGrounds.jpg

I'm not finding a front turn signal wiring diagram online. I can look for one in my GP shop manual when I get home (will be very similar). PM (start conversation) me tonight to remind me.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Sounds like a ground problem to me.. A bad ground can make everything do crazy things! timo22

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

amanley

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2016
Thanks for the replies. I have a volt meter. I'll tackle those grounds asap.

Reactions: 1 user

amanley

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2016
Alright checked the grounds cleaned them up real nice reground them and we're good for running lights now. Still having issues with my blinkers though. Also when I turn lights on hazards stop working. Still sounding like a ground issue? If so let me know. I found the ground running to the fenders are there more for the front lights?

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Here is a diagram on the turn signal switch. I'm going to have to have more time to study it to be of help. If someone else can study and provide input that will help. It shows color codes for the rear turn signals but it will help with the discussion.
RearTurn-Hazard-StopLight.jpg

This schematic will help with color codes for the front turn signals. GM was good about being consistent with wiring color codes....
80hlightschematic.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

amanley

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2016
Fixed the issue with hazards going off with lights. Still working on blinker issue. I'm wondering if its the switch. Also does anyone know what Pink, Purple,Green,Gray and white wires go to? No where to connect it. I'm thinking it was for cruise, but idk. Its the connector beside my hand not the one I'm actually holding.. :p Also I pulled my steering wheel I need to replace horn contact piece. I think its called canceling cam am I correct there? Trying to make my way towards getting the beast inspected lol its been a long road.

Attachments

• IMG_20161207_154705.jpg
    IMG_20161207_154705.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 340
Last edited:

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
cruise connector is a small connector, usually the size of your pinky, and it has 3 or 4 wires in it.
that connector your wondering about looks like its for your wiper switch. is your wiper switch on your turn signal lever? i didn't think wiper switches were moved from the dash mounted switch to the steering column switch till '82-'83. but i could be wrong. hopefully other members know.
your doing great. you have solved a couple of problems.
so what problems are you still chasing?
if it just the blinkers not working, recheck your fuses. turn signal and hazards use different fuses. see diagram provided by texas82gp for reference.
joe

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor