blinkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
Ok so changing out my turn signal cam went good and I ran into another problem that I didn't know was there.
My front turn signals work but my rear don't.

This is what happened at first:
Both front turn signals were working fine, and only rear passenger was working.
Changed out my rear driver bulb (but still didn't blink, only stayed on with lights on)
and after a while of tinkering with the lights the passenger stopped blinking.
So I changed out the blinker relay and still nothing.
When I turn on the hazards only the front blinks, not the rear.
The rear has brand new bulbs now but they still don't blink.
No other lights are burnt out, they are all working.

Could this have been caused by the new turn signal cam?
One rear light was blinking after the turn signal cam but it went out as I was messing with the lights.
Any help please thanks in advance.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
"Brand new bulbs" don't guarantee worky-worky. Verify voltage at the socket with a test light and confirm ground with a meter. I'm also thinking that if you changed the canceling cam, you mighta shoulda put a new turn switch in....

Last edited:

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
I still have the old switch and I plugged it back in. same problem but today its even more head scratching. now neither front nor back blinkers are flashing with the turn lever. now if I hit the hazards only the front and right rear are flashing. yesterday only the front flashed with the hazards, and only the front worked with the turn lever. now nothing works with the turn lever.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Now you know why they charge $200 an hour for electrical diagnosis. I would separate the signal lights harness at the bottom of the steering column. Then test each circuit with 12 volts to verify the lights themselves or wiring are not the problem. You will probably need to isolate the flasher. If so then the signal mechanism is the problem.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
Now you know why they charge $200 an hour for electrical diagnosis. I would separate the signal lights harness at the bottom of the steering column. Then test each circuit with 12 volts to verify the lights themselves or wiring are not the problem. You will probably need to isolate the flasher. If so then the signal mechanism is the problem.
Is there a wire color code for the turn signal switch? I'm going to try to Google it.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, that's a great find. GM is very good with their wiring color codes. They hardly ever change and if they run out of colors they add a stripe to the wire. In fact trailer wiring is the same except white is the ground color. So do as they said and test all the car's wiring circuits. If OK then it is the column mechanism. I believe the whole mechanism is available both NOS and re-pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor