Blower for heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2010
Hey,

I’m just trying to hook up the blower motor to a toggle switch. How do I make that work? Also, is it possible to hook it up to speed control or would it just be on at full power?
The wires are all messed up for using the climate control panel in the car so just want to use it for defrost.

Attachments

• 26CE58AC-F5AE-41AB-B57F-91AAC113D23E.jpeg
    26CE58AC-F5AE-41AB-B57F-91AAC113D23E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82

John Canon

Apprentice
Apr 19, 2022
Vancouver Canada
The motor itself has one wire for 12 volt power input plus the case is ground return. Usually there is a open-coil resistor in the airflow that is wired into the power side to give different speeds. The resistor gets hot, that's why it is in the airflow. Normally the switch has multiple outputs that puts the different resistors in line with the 12 volt power. If you had the resistor and a multi-switch, then you could have a multi-speed fan. Otherwise it's one switch, one speed, hold onto your hat.

Your picture seems to show a connector going to the resistor so you could be in luck. A wiring diagram could be found with colors if you have the exact year and model vehicle.

Mooch

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2010
Hey,

I’m just trying to hook up the blower motor to a toggle switch. How do I make that work? Also, is it possible to hook it up to speed control or would it just be on at full power?
The wires are all messed up for using the climate control panel in the car so just want to use it for defrost.

Mooch

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2010
Hi, yea none of the wiring works so just want to connect it directly to the battery on a switch. Which wires go where to activate the motor. I thought the one terminal coming out of the blower would go straight to the battery and one for ground d it would then turn over? I dunno. Just quickest solution to wire it up.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Just fix it right. Will be cheaper than rigging it and less of a fire hazard. Simple circuit.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Looks like it's all there, did you try plugging the purple wire onto the blower motor terminal?

The harness to the control head is a seperate piece, should be readily available via members on the forum if it's hacked up

Also see square-drive screws holding the blower motor in....guess there's been some "repairs" in it's past?

John Canon

Apprentice
Apr 19, 2022
Vancouver Canada
This may help ... but if you decide to run your new switch to the motor wire, then remove the connector going to the resistors (the 4-wire connector with yellow/blue/orange/green)

Attachments

• Cutlass79c.jpg
    Cutlass79c.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor