blower motor confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
My blower motor runs fine on all speeds but high. As soon as the switch goes to high it shuts off. Also it doesnt change from defrost to the vents. It's always on defrost. My main concern is the high speed not working but any info would help. Thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There is a connector on the passenger side of the engine near the front of the valve cover. There is a red wire in that connection feeds the relay for the high speed. If you have 12 volts at that connection then check the relay.

FourSeasonAirConditioner.jpg

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
x2 2 on that red wire. At least on the Monte/Malibu/elky/regal I know that connector is right along the valve cover. That connector, on every g-body I have owned, melted down and had to be repaired, i.e., cut out and replaced with new connectors. I would try that first to see if you can get the high speed. Since you indicated you have the low, med-low, and med-high, that is usually the issue.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Try burnishing the contacts in that same plug. Sometimes you'll find a little surface corrosion, After a little cleaning it usually brings back the high speed function. It's worked for me.

85olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2013
Always on defrost will be no vacuum at the switch, could be a broken vacuum line or a leaky switch,bad check valve, or bad vacuum resivor......by default it goes to defrost

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
pontiacgp said:
There is a connector on the passenger side of the engine near the front of the valve cover. There is a red wire in that connection feeds the relay for the high speed. If you have 12 volts at that connection then check the relay.

FourSeasonAirConditioner.jpg
Checked it with a good relay. Still doesn't work.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it's a very uncomplicated system so print off the diagram and check the wiring including the grounds

rob.c1989

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 29, 2012
mine would do the similar thing with the defrost. it would only work on defrost and the floor. i replace the cam behind the control panel. basically it cuts the vacuum off to one thing and opens another line to open another thing such as the vents, floor, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor