blower motor switch issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrx10503

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2010
81 Monte
Ok, heat was working A1 perfect last year, especially with the Superstat I put in it.

Here we are in the present, Artic Blast and I've deduced that its a fuse somewhere I can't see or the a/c heater panel switch, because my blower motor won't come on, on any of the four speeds.

I have test lighted and the found the following:
The red wire going to the underhood big silver shelltop relay is always hot (constant). No other wires (purple or blue) are hot at anytime.
The wires going to the resistor is not showing hot constant, nor switched(on ign).

Inside the dash, I pulled the heater a/c control panel out slightly to test the two switches.
There is a mode switch (heat, vent, etc) and the blower motor speed switch (low, medium, high).
I found that the i'm getting switched hot on on of the mode switch wires.
But the blower motor speed switch has no hot wires constant nor switched.

I know the actual blower motor works, I ran a hot wire to it and it came on.
Pretty sure its not the relay, nor resistor, because as you can see, I don't think power is getting to them
All the fuses in the fuse box are not blown.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Turn the ignition on, turn the blower motor switch on HIGH, and then switch the selector from off to on and repeat....and listen for a clicking noise under the hood. That noise is the relay switching on and off. If you hear it, its good. If ya dont, its bad. Good luck!

Edit....if you have constant current at the relay from the big red wire, but both of the others are not hot when switch on, then your problem has to be either the mode switch or the blower motor switch. My guess is the mode switch, since you are not getting current to the blower switch.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
move the selection lever to see if the fan kicks in. If it does that switch needs to be replaced.

matrx10503

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2010
Hello, all I suspect it to be burnt contact in the mode selector switch. I jumped some wires in the mode switch and the blower motor came on. The blower motor speed switch is fine and works on all positions while jumping the pins in the mode switch.

matrx10503

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2010
skFdMW4.jpg

Found my culprit, this plastic clip/plug that keeps the whole switch assembly together is broke.
When I first took my climate control panel out, it fell out and I was like "hmm where did this little plastic piece come from!?"...Now I know!!.
The mode switch can't stay together when I moving the knob control from vent/ac/heater modes causing it to lose contact and not send power to the blower motor switch.

So hopefully I can find the orange climate mode switch separately to buy without having to buy a full climate panel.....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That is the selector switch I was referring to. Those switches are sold separately, I got mine at Napa

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
go get one from a wrecking yard, those switches were used in alot of GM vehicles. I don't understand why the new switch does not come with that clip. Mine did.

matrx10503

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2010
No, it does come with the clip. But since I ONLY need the clip not the actually switch, because mines works. I was just being cheap.

And done-and-done, I pulled the switch from a scrapper 89 Caprice I have sitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor