Blower speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

genestang

Apprentice
Sep 18, 2021
I have a issue with my Grand Prix. When I purchased it a few weeks ago, the heater fan did not work at all but I was able to get the blower to blow on all speeds but high. After replacing relay, resistor and cleaning fan switch, not sure what I did but for some reason now I only have a low blower speed. No power on red wire to relay unless I put direct power to it from power probe. Not sure how the Pontiac system is set up. What could I be missing?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Around the evaporator case you will see a black conector with a big red wire and green wires. See if the red wire is burned there. If so bypass the connector

genestang

Apprentice
Sep 18, 2021
Around the evaporator case you will see a black conector with a big red wire and green wires. See if the red wire is burned there. If so bypass the connector
Are you referring to the red wire in the connector pictured if so I have power on both sides connected I also have power on the red wire going into relay but I have nothing on the orange wire at all

Attachments

• 48662475-5A33-478B-94DB-5E0B5512873F.jpeg
    48662475-5A33-478B-94DB-5E0B5512873F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 108

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Are you referring to the red wire in the connector pictured if so I have power on both sides connected I also have power on the red wire going into relay but I have nothing on the orange wire at all
Yes, that one and the one above it. Take the connector aprt and see if red wire is burnt

genestang

Apprentice
Sep 18, 2021
Wanted to let everyone know I fixed it but it wasn’t anything wrong outside of my mistake in pulling a little too hard and disconnecting the connector on top of the heater control that controls vents and etc. plugged back in and everything works great..thanks I did check that wire and ran direct anyway to bypass connector

lyonpub

n00b
Apr 3, 2022
Possibly know who carries this connector? I looked around in Original Parts Group and couldn't find it. Mine is burned and I'd rather replace it than bypass it. I will if I have to.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Possibly know who carries this connector? I looked around in Original Parts Group and couldn't find it. Mine is burned and I'd rather replace it than bypass it. I will if I have to.
lyonpub

The terminals (Packard 56 series) are also available, but I don't remember where I bought them. Been a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
It's a shiitload of current through that wire on high and over time, the connection gets corroded and becomes resistive. All that current through that resistance causes it to get so hot that it melts the plastic. I always cut the connector off and solder the wires directly. This is not ideal as you can't just disconnect it if ya need to. I wonder if there would be a good replacement connector that would be weatherproof and can carry the current.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
A little grease in the connector will go a long ways toward stopping the corrosion. I'm sure there's a weatherpak that would do the job, though

Or maybe rewire to power it from a separate hot lead, rather than the original path. Never cared for all the power being routed through the fuse links down by the starter

Last edited:

genestang

Apprentice
Sep 18, 2021
No unfortunately I bypassed mine and wired direct

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor