BMR suspension questions..New guy to the G-Body....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tofast4U

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 8, 2019
Hey guys new to the G-Body, Actually picked up a 87 SS yesterday. It needs all new bushings up front and I'm sure the Rear are just as Baked as the fronts. So BMR has a Stage 2 kit that seems to have everything a guys needs to replace the worn out Parts. So couple of questions it only says it has a 1.5 Inch lowering. If you want lower for a good stance do you cut the coil springs or do you do a spindle drop? anbody have a picture of BMR suspension installed? Next question seems to be about Weather stripping...Mine is all bad and Have T-Tops and have been searching all night and seem there are kits for 200.00. Are there some I should stay away from? Other question is on the Power window turbo, Haha, does that really work? Anyways thanks Guys and have a great night. I'm sure I will be asking more stupid questions later.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I have heard good things about the turbo window unit, but never used one. For front suspension height you'll get lots of answers. I bought drop springs, it was still a little too high, then cut them too much and the tires rubbed... Decided with planned engine swap in the future which would change the weight over the front end, I went with coilovers so I could adjust the height in ten minutes.. obviously they cost more. If you lower, you must go with a stiffer spring, you can also only go so low or tires will rub no matter the size.... Food for thought

Oh and t-tops weather stripping. Only thing I know is that it is VERY important to check your.tops. not all are factory. If the have a CC logo on them it stands for Cars & Concepts. Those seals are not made any more.. besides that I have no info on them. Sorry

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The problem with lowering the front is the inner fender wells. It really depends on how you drive and use the car vs. how much rubbing you can tolerate. Of course, tire height plays into this as well. My 225/60-16s are 26.4 tall, and I get a rub at full compression with some speed. For this reason, I have yet to switch to the 1/2" taller lower ball joints (lowers the front 3/4" and I don't want more rubbing). However, future plans include dropping tire height 1" by switching to a 245/50-16 which should allow the same travel I have now.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
For reference, when I cut my drop springs I was using 245/50/16 on a 16x8 and they rubbed. I'm only 1/2" higher with the coilovers but I'm running 275/35/18 on 18x9.5 and no rubbing at all now. Part of that is due to the different camber curve with the RideTech control arms...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor