body bushing repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Hey everyone, i'm about to look into having the 35 year old frame bushings on my GP replaced. They are obviously no good anymore and my body is slapping against my frame when i go over big bumps,,,,not good! I looked under there as best i could without a lift and there are 2 trouble spots where the body surrounding the bushing is rotted or ripped away from the bushings. The first bad spot is on the drivers rear wheel well # 5 I believe, where it meets the trunk and the 2nd bad spot is under the middle of the drivers side door. My frame is totally solid with no rot from what I can see, I bought the car when it was only 6 years old and it has never seen snow and I don't drive it in the rain either. Are there under body patches available or will they have to be custom repaired with new sheet metal and molded and welded in place? Also, what am I looking at for a repair bill since it is all labor and I already have the poly bushings. I bummed right now as I haven't really driven it much since i found out how bad they are, but the good thing is my frame is good! Thanks in advance.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
something like this,there's no real way of foreseeing how it's gonna go/what is gonna have to be repaired.translates cost in the process.even barring not driving in the snow/rain it's still a New England car that's 30+ years old.be sure to have good communication with whomever is doing the work as what it's could cost (worst case scenario) just so everyone's on the same page and it goes as smooth as possible.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Thank you Shoedoos....that is exactly what I need!

Reactions: 1 user

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Are there templates or measurements of where to drill holes to get in and lube the nuts before trying to take body bolts out.

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
When I opened up my Long Island car it was a can of worms. The frame on my car was a lot of the problem though. #2 on the passenger side on the body needed some rebuilding, check the crossmember on #4 under the rear seat, the floor pan was good but the crossmember was soft, the same supplier as the rear mounts probably has that as well, whoever works on the car, try hand tools on the bolts, power tools will almost certainly bust off a rusty snaggletooth body bolt.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Ok thank you all for the advice. I found a friend of a friend who is going to assist me and let me use his garage lift and tools. So i will be posting pics and maybe some video of the process. The bad area is the trunk body where it meets the frame, but the frame is solid.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
After doing my frame off let me give you one piece of advice. If you know there is rust, there will be more than you think there is....

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor