body bushing repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Well obviously there is some rust on a car that is 35 years old but......it is not my frame that is rotted, there are some bad areas on the body metal where it meets the frame and bushing in the trunk on the drivers side.

Last edited:

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
If the body is rotted, most likely the frame is too right around where the body mounts sit. That's why they make the frame repair washers. My frame was mint especially the rear rails where they always rot. EXCEPT I had several body mount holes, 5 I think, that ended needed to be repaired

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I think most of us who have changed the body bushings would suggest to expect the worse cause you will never know until you get into it

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Thanks for the encouragement,,,but i'm not worried, my frame is solid even on the top where the bushing meets the body. The body metal is pretty thin to begin with, I've already checked the frame out.

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
So you've removed bushings already and seen the frame underneath them?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks for the encouragement,,,but i'm not worried, my frame is solid even on the top where the bushing meets the body. The body metal is pretty thin to begin with, I've already checked the frame out.

My GP lived in Florida most of it's life so it looked pretty good and the one body bolt I removed to see what condition a bolt was in, it was great condition. Once I removed the frame and saw what the actual damage was I looked for a frame that was in better condition and had to rebuild 9 of the body mount locations on the body. I did not have a rotissary and I still have some t-shirts with holes caused by splatter due to welding above. That's why I suggest plan and prepare for the worse.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
It will be repaired no matter what damage may appear I always prepare for the worst but don't dwell on it,,, I am not worried about it but thank you for all your horror stories, every car is different as far as rot goes..... and I am determined to make it better, not show room perfect.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
We've just seen too many people get in over their heads then the project stalls or is never even finished and we're just trying to prevent that.

• Agree

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
I understand and thank you for your warning and concern, I am very aware of this jobs potential to be a nightmare, but I have a friend who is very capable and is a good metal fabricator and he has a 5 stall garage, all the proper tools, the knowledge and the experience of doing this job on past Gbody's that he has owned. I would not even attempt to do this job by myself as body work is not my strong skill. But like he told me,,,no body shop would even take this job on because of the labor hours involved and the cars age. I am in no hurry and don't care how long it takes as long as it is repaired and he has confirmed that it will be. It's good to know people like this who are willing to help a guy out! I will keep you guys posted on the progress,....if there is some interest and not criticism.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor