Body Bushing Torque Spec. Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
My energy Suspension body bushing kit did not come with any instructions for the torque specs. on these body bushings. Anybody know what it is suppose to be?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I'll double check but I believe it's around 50-52ft/lbs.

*Edit* Just double checked my CSM and it's 52ft/lbs.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Andrew is right on the money...52 ft lbs. it is according to my '84 Olds chassis service manual. Although I might have done mine at closer to 55 when I did my bushings.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
WTF! :wtf: I am sure you guys are correct on the torque spec, but I just busted a bolt! Since my old ones were getting rusty I decided to to replace them with new ones. I bought grade 8.8 (like 5 in English) because one of the original ones broke when I removed it and I was able to drill it fairly easily. Plus a local drag racer I work with said he uses grade 5 on his drag car because grade 8 in too brittle. Yes , they are stronger in the direction of the bolt but shear strength is more brittle. So this would be grade 10.9 in metric I believe. What did you guys use? :cry:

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Quick question did you break a bolt on the radiator mount ones? 52 ft-lbs on all but radiator mounts, they are 27 ft-lbs I am told.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I used 10.9 because I believe that's what came out.

I've heard another person tell me the same thing about using grade 5 instead of grade 8 but I think their full of crap. I was told by a "drag racer" to use grade 5 for the suspension control arms and not grade 8. His theory was wouldn't you rather bend a bolt instead of break one?

But, the factory used 10.9 fasteners on all of the suspension components. I'm guessing the GM engineer's know a little more about that than a backyard drag racer.

Your lucky you just broke a bolt. When I torqued mine down, I found the two front locations, #2 position, both broke the cage nuts. :evil: So now I don't have a single cage nut left on the car. Everything has 10.9 fasteners with locknuts.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I looked thru some odd A/G-body information that I have filed in a folder.
Regarding body mount bolts. They claim that there's 3 different size bolts.

Position- 1 uses p/n 10049638 (2 needed) 12 x 1.75 x 95mm long. 95mm is not common so you have to use 100mm. Also nuts needed. * I think I used 10mm x ? bolts & nuts. . It's been a number of years.

position- 3 uses p/n 14085301 ( sold in packages of 5, 2 needed) 10 x 1.50 x 55mm long.

position- 2, 4, 6, 7 uses p/n 3524497 (sold in packages of 5, 8 needed) 10 x 1.5 x 80mm long.

I've bought some of these bolts at my local GM dealer. They weren't cheap. Fortunately, several of the bolts that I removed were in like new condition, so I reused them. shhhh!

As for the hardness, I wouldn't use anything less than 10.9 . If you look around, I'm sure you can find them aftermarket.
A guy over at Maliburacing, a few years ago was selling bolt sets for like $15.00. It was a good deal at the time.

Here's a set of bolts that Kirban offers.
http://www.kirbanperformance.com/produc ... 36974.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor