Body mount repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

8T7SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2008
Hey guys just had my Monte SS at my shop and on the hoist and found some disturbing rust issues. :( The left body mount at the bottom of the A pillar is gone!!! no bolt head ... just the upper part protruding though the frame. Also the body is rusted badly around the rear mounts in front of the rear wheel wells on both sides. Dose anyone know if they make replacement corners for the body? I have looked and all I'm finding is the floor pans. I would need the actual corner of the body that the bolt secures it self to. I really don't want to junk the car. 87k all original.Really did not want to go looking for an entire body to cut pieces from either... I might be looking a long time here in MI.. rust central! Give me you thoughts and I'll listen. I'll post some Photos of the problem if needed for clairity. let me know. I guess I'll have to figure out how to add picts to the post. Thanks guys. :wink:

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
WOW, I tought buying a car from Minnesota was bad, but even mine doesn't have those issues. Sorry about the rust, I'm not really sure what you can do about it. Maybe you can contact a body shop that does rust repair and find out what can be done?

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Southern Ontario is a pretty bad area for rust as well. There are several companies around the Toronto area that specialize in bringing up rust-free body panels, or even complete southern rust-free body shells. Are there any companies in your area that specialize in this service? If so, you might be able to purchase the parts you need from a rust-free body, and then get them welded into your car. There is a gentleman near Woodstock Ontario who sells replacement rear frame rails and rear body mount and trunk repair parts. His name is Conrad Lozier. I'm sure that if you Google his name, you can find more info on him. Good luck with your repairs.

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
A body shop can goober it together, but if you want it to look like it didn't happen, your only choice is a custom restoration shop. It won't be cheap....or quick. any body part can be made from sheet metal, you just have talk to the right people.

To be honest, the cleanest, most expensive g-body you can find will most likely be cheaper than quality repairs on what you described.

I'm don't mean to sound like a jerk, but the value of these cars does not justify that kind of labor costs. just my.02

I hope you prove me wrong, good luck and keep us posted

Brian

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Conrad Lozier
Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
(519)537-7214

He sells all the stuff you should need. I think the "pockets" with the nut that the body bolts go into are like $17 a piece? You will have to unbolt the frame from the body and jack the body up pretty far to be able to cut the damaged stuff out and weld in the new ones.

As far as the costs of having it done, it might not be too bad. I asked Conrad how much the average rear frame rail/pocket repair costs, and he said $800. I live below the rust belt and there are very few cars down here even that don't need frame rails etc. They must have used bad steel and little or no corrosion protection from the factory. So unless you live down south/southwestern U.S., you should expect to do repairs to the underbody and frame on any G-body if the car has any kind of mileage on it and was driven year round.

8T7SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2008
Thanks for the link to the site. I emailed him to see if he makes what I need for the area infront of the rear axle. Other wise I'll cobble something up to hold the body back there. might not look good but I'm no Chip Foose.

Dirtywhiteboy... no offence taken. I agree with ya. I would really have to do a body off resto and ....well I really did not want to do that to this car. I think I might just make a parts car out of it and find another one that is clean and free of rust. I was looking on line and found several clean 1 owner montes for 10-15k and the local hot rod car sales place has a 85 SS and they want 15k and they don't sell junk. so I'm with ya.
I think I'll just off it.
I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the hlep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor