Body mounted Directly to Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

marauderprime

Apprentice
Jun 21, 2016
I did a search. Probably didn't find anything because it sounds crazy.

I was talking to a dirt track racer. He mounted the frame directly to the body.......................no bushings. At this point, it is more of just a theoretical conversation, so don't flame me.

From a handling and chassis rigidity standpoint, there are advantages to this. It is essentially taking the spaghetti noodle frame, and the flat noodle pasta body, and bolting them together into a space frame. I am just curious because I was already looking at the TRZ drop height body mounts. Before you flame me for that, I'm doing it, don't bother talking me out of it.

Has anybody ever bolted a body directly to the frame? The only issue I can really see (other than the obvious NVH) would be panel alignment, but maybe I could run just shims for that?

::Gets flame suit::

Remember, this is just a hypothetical based upon a bizarre statement that was made to me.

"A dirt track guy told me he mounted a g-body directly to the frame."

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
The body wasn't meant to be structural. I'm not sure how much more rigidity it will gain you. Some for sure. It will point out all the weak spots in the body design though. I suspect you will need spacers in some spots it, not a drop it and go type of thing. Brake lines and fuel lines. That's a problem. Ride quality will suck. Wheel wheels will be a problem. Expect to overcome rubbing issues. Column shifter will need to be addressed if you have one. Try it. Maybe you will get into it and change your mind. Maybe it will turn out awesome.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
If the body wasn’t meant to be structural, it sure does a good job of stiffening up these flimsy G-body frames.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Many times on a dirt track the body gets cut off the floorpan and firewall when it needs replaced, the floor and cage structure is what is reused. Your friend is probably using a renforced floor for use on the track.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Go for it. The rubber makes it weaker.

People who argue NVH need to go buy a new Cadillac.

My car chops so hard I cannot hear the suspension.

Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I've had the same thought with my 66 Cutlass, then after looking under, it didn't look like it could "just happen". By that, I mean the floor would need to be clearanced in spots. I suspect there's a reason why TRZ has them the height they do.
I'll be watching to see how it turns out.
Oh, and don't sleep on hockey pucks. They work great!

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Its been done many times on race cars. Not sure it will work too well on a street car for a long period of time. Its a double edge sword though. Yeah the body stiffens the frame, but then everything in the body starts to flex and crack. The car APPEARS lower since the body is almost 3/4" lower to the tires. But that also impacts all the clearances from the body to the frame, like transmission and driveshaft tunnel, engine is closer to the hood, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
It’s a very interesting concept to adhere the body and frame directly together. Lord Fusor probably has something that would be strong enough, otherwise welding would always be an option too. If I had the time I’d try it out and weld the fenders on for a low buck faux unibody conversion. It might not be bad for a track car on a budget.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
circle track racing the body is gutted and does nothing to add to the frame. There is a cage, front hoop and rear hoops that are all welded to the frame. We used hockey pucks for the body bushings cause the rule were that we hade to have rubber body bushings since the car came with them.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor