Body mounts on new chassis

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS1 Grand Prix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2020
I am building a new frame for my LS powered '81 Grand Prix. It is 2 x3 box, Mustang II front suspension, coil over all around with 4 link. My question is about the body mounts.
I will be loosing the mount at the front of the rear wheel wells due to putting in wheel tubs. The center mount falls out in the center of the frame rail. Does anyone have an opinion about loosing this mount as well.That would leave me with 5 mounts per side.
20200719_113558.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I wouldn't lose either mount. G bodies need all the help they can get

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Sweet setup!!! On a stock frame, the body supplies a significant amount of the torsional rigidity, which is why t-top cars flex so much. With a properly built box frame alone you’ve probably got more rigidity than the stock chassis/frame combo, but you will lose some taking a few mounts out.

Aluminum bushings or hockey pucks might be necessary to eliminate sag of the body shell if you go that route.

If you’re looking to maximize torsional rigidity, you’ll need to cafe it no matter what.

Reactions: 1 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I am building a new frame for my LS powered '81 Grand Prix. It is 2 x3 box, Mustang II front suspension, coil over all around with 4 link. My question is about the body mounts.
I will be loosing the mount at the front of the rear wheel wells due to putting in wheel tubs. The center mount falls out in the center of the frame rail. Does anyone have an opinion about loosing this mount as well.That would leave me with 5 mounts per side. View attachment 153396

Nice looking job by the way !!
Guy

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Losing those mounts on a stock frame would be a bad idea without a cage. That being said, the frame you’ve got there is fully boxed and is most likely made of thicker, higher quality metal, so it’ll take up a ton of slack that the stock platform had.
Just move the body mounts further towards the center mount and keep the center mount. Adding some extra bracing to the body wouldn’t hurt either.

Sweet frame by the way!

Reactions: 2 users

LS1 Grand Prix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2020
Losing those mounts on a stock frame would be a bad idea without a cage. That being said, the frame you’ve got there is fully boxed and is most likely made of thicker, higher quality metal, so it’ll take up a ton of slack that the stock platform had.
Just move the body mounts further towards the center mount and keep the center mount. Adding some extra bracing to the body wouldn’t hurt either.

Sweet frame by the way!
Thanks

LS1 Grand Prix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2020

Sweet frame by the way!
Thanks

LS1 Grand Prix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2020
Sweet setup!!! On a stock frame, the body supplies a significant amount of the torsional rigidity, which is why t-top cars flex so much. With a properly built box frame alone you’ve probably got more rigidity than the stock chassis/frame combo, but you will lose some taking a few mounts out.

Aluminum bushings or hockey pucks might be necessary to eliminate sag of the body shell if you go that route.

If you’re looking to maximize torsional rigidity, you’ll need to cafe it no matter what.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor