Body mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Apprentice
May 26, 2015
hey guys, just a quick question
I believe one of my body mounts is bad and wanted to replace the few in the back and just wanted to know how difficult it is and any help to make this process easier. I've never done this before so I figured someone on here has. Thanks

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
It depends how rusty your car is.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you think one is bad then plan on replacing them all, if the car has no rust issues at all it is not too bad a job but if it does you can end up with bolts breaking and having to cut into the floor or trunk area to access the cage nut and the possibility of doing repairs on the frame and body if the rust went too far.
Just do a search on here there are plenty of discussions on this topic and try Youtube to see videos of what you might be dealing with.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
As 565 said, doing body mounts can get ugly real quick! I was able to remove the bolts along the frame pretty easily until I got to the trunk area....all 4 bolts snapped which required cutting 4 holes in the trunk to remove the top halves of them. I replaced with all new 10.9 metric hardware throughout and used locknuts for the trunk area bolts.
Our cars love to eat things over the years in regards to rust....just be patient and if bolts start breaking there are remedies.

This is what a 30 year old trunk area body bolt looks like!
20151101_161417.jpg

The bolts are supposed to be 10mm, but with years of corrosion it was eaten down to about 5 or 6mm.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
As the other said about it getting ugly fast, the cage nuts another thing to cause headaches. Mine let me get a few turns until they gave out from the rust. And if you're trying one section, might as well do them all.

• Agree

Stuart

Apprentice
May 26, 2015
As the other said about it getting ugly fast, the cage nuts another thing to cause headaches. Mine let me get a few turns until they gave out from the rust. And if you're trying one section, might as well do them all.
Thanks everyone! Luckily my car is rust free but I expect them to still be a pain because let's face it, nothing ever goes as planned for us car guys. But I did put my car away for the winter so I'm gonna pickup some things and do it in the spring

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The problem is that even rust free cars can have issues with body mounts and you won't find the issues until you start doing the disassembly especially since the cage nuts are held in place with very thin metal.

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
A good idea I read on here is to drill a 1/4" hole above the cage nut so you can soak the cage nut with penetrating oil.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I suggest you get a rotisserie. When I did mine I have removed one bolt that was in great shape and naively thought the rest would be ok as well, or maybe I was just in denial. I ended up cutting the cage nuts out in 9 locations, fabricated new cages for the stock nuts and then welded them all back in while on my back. I still have a t shirt or two with burn marks that look like I got hit with shrapnel. If I was smart and got a rotisserie the job would have been alot easier, quicker and cleaner welds. Once done you can always sell the rotisserie and get all or most of your money back, or maybe make a profit.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
If one is bad, then others are bad too.... still in process of doing mine. Not a fun job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor