Body Mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
All speculation on my part. I have no experience using the aluminum mounts for DD/street use and don't know anyone who has. Will be interested to follow your experience with them over the long term. Please post updates from time to time. Thanks.

for our circle track G bodies we had to use rubber body mounts, no metal permitted, so we stuck with the rules and used hockey pucks like most other teams have been using for years . They never broke in all the crashes the car was involved in.....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Why would one not want to use the solid bushings instead of rubber or poly?
that is my plan at least, I think the price is comparable. The solid bushings, assuming no body rust issues, would make the whole body/chassis more rigid.
https://trzmotorsports.com/wp2/?product=g-body-solid-body-mount-bushings

as for NVH... see also unibody cars.
I for one don't care for the harshness of the ride quality of modern unibody cars so I wouldn't want aluminum body bushings. Urethane is stiffer than stock and unlikely to deteriorate in your ownership of the car so it seems like a good compromise.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Thats the only one I have rusted out on the front section of my frame right now. I need to repair it, what size washer did you use?

I used repair washers from Kirban Performance.

As for aluminum mounts, I would be concerned about galvanic reactions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

regalized

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 9, 2014
Maine
Uppers and lowers or just lowers?

Is the car rusty? If yes, find something else to worry about and keep an eye out for a better G-body.

If the car isn't rusty, go ahead and attempt removing the bolts.

The rears (position 7) on a Regal:

Upper is a 1242754

Factory Lower is a Flat Washer, but you want to replace it with a 457915 "Pink" which is the stiffest of the factory Lower Bushings.

If you are building a car to handle, you want to replace all of the Lower "flat washers" with 457915 "Pinks" (Positions #3 and #4 - under the door) - 6 pinks total.

The difference between flat washers and 6 pinks is immediately noticeable. The car handles better and isn't really hash... it just doesn't feel like its bending in the middle over bumps, anymore.

This guy sells individual mounts and there is always E-bay.
I just went to order 1242754, and it says that is the lower and 457915 is an upper. Is this right, or is what you gave me correct? Just curious Thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
for our circle track G bodies we had to use rubber body mounts, no metal permitted, so we stuck with the rules and used hockey pucks like most other teams have been using for years . They never broke in all the crashes the car was involved in.....
50 pucks for $30 on fleabay for the win!

Reactions: 2 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Jut my 2 cents here,but I believe that if NVH wasnt too big of a concern and better handling was,that the rubber isolators on the solid aluminum bushings would be a real good way to tie the body and frame firmly together.
If used in conjunction wih all the extra braces and a well thought out suspension I think that our old G Body's could be made to handle remarkably well.
Mine is certainly a whole lot better that when I bought it,I went around my "Test Corners" at a titch above 100 MPH the other day,and it felt real solid.
Theres no way you could do this with the stock suspension.
Guy

Reactions: 1 users

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
For what it is worth a body guy told me the urathane is stiffer and he prefers the feel of rubber mounts. I still went with urathane as I updated the rear and front sway bars and used Spohn solid tube suspension in front and back. I also updated the stearing components to stiffen it all up for better cornering.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I have the poly bushings in mine and you can feel every bump in the road,but,IMO,it's worth it...
Guy

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor