Body off the frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I have a stripped down body that is off the frame. Other than body work, is there anything else I should consider doing before I set the body down on the frame. The frame got new steering and suspension. I'm fixing any body work issues on the body. I am using new bolts and bushings. Is there something else I should do so I am not wishing I had done in hindsight? Any thoughts?

Nov 4, 2012
If your brake and fuel lines are questionable, now's the time to do them. Also if you want to box your frame, now would be the time.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Frame was stripped down, and painted. It will get new brake and fuel lines. I've not decided on the direction I want to go with the engine, so I'm thinking those will wait.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I will go along with what joesregalproject suggested about fuel/brake lines. Plus, I'm assuming you coated/painted the underbody area the way you like? If not, put some old bolts in the bushing bolt holes on the body as not to gob up the threads with coating/paint first. With that, is there any wiring stuff that may go under the body somewhere that would be easier to tend to with the body off the frame? Remove bolts after paint, position the upper mounts into place, then lower onto frame, align bottom part of bushing/washer and get the bolts started....

Don't mind me. I'm just thinking out loud on things I would do. If you hadn't already.

Reactions: 1 user

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
An odd thing I thought of was the ebrake cable, where it passes from the interior of the body then down to the frame. Something makes me think that is something I should consider.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
An odd thing I thought of was the ebrake cable, where it passes from the interior of the body then down to the frame. Something makes me think that is something I should consider.
IIRC, it comes up through the bottom and has a push through flanged spring clip looking thing on it. Yeah, you could hook up the E-brake system first but you can leave the front cable and retainer off until you get the body set. It's pretty easy to put on. More of a pain to get out. But if you pulled yours out, you already know the PITA it can be.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Brakes and fuel lines. Just did mine with the body on and regret that I didn't do it before. Suspension is easier in the rear also. Heck the whole drivetrain is easier. Especially if you painted your underbody.

• Agree

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I guess I could at least do brake lines to proportioning valve. I would like to decide on the drivetrain now, I just need funds spent in other areas first.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
With the body off, it would be a good time to reinforce the frame. Besides the already mentioned frame boxing, you may want to install other bracing such as control arm mount braces.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

87National55

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2018
With the body off, it would be a good time to reinforce the frame. Besides the already mentioned frame boxing, you may want to install other bracing such as control arm mount braces.

X2... if anything at least brace the rear forks with a bar. You will see a complete deference on the sturdiness of frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor