Bolt in rear end b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justinjames

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2018
Alright guys, part of the reason i jumped from s10 platform to g body with my new drivetrain is the greater range of availability for durable parts.

Im a plenty skilled fabricator but im curious to know what rear ends you all are getting to bolt in with minimal fabrication and bolt in/on parts that will survive 500+ to the tires with hard launches.

I have availability to custom built dana 60 rear ends through a good family friend but theyre still pricey and not to mention heavy as all can be. Curious to see what a commonly available option might be from the guys that are going to know best.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Many guys try to find 8.5 rears first but they are becoming hard to find and getting pricey and still need upgrades to really take a lot of abuse, then the most common swap from there would be moving to a 9" which has plenty of vendors with bolt in rears along with an incredible amount of aftermarket support.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Justinjames

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2018
Many guys try to find 8.5 rears first but they are becoming hard to find and getting pricey and still need upgrades to really take a lot of abuse, then the most common swap from there would be moving to a 9" which has plenty of vendors with bolt in rears along with an incredible amount of aftermarket support.

Which vehicle has the most desirable 9 inch to swap in?

I had heard that there are 8.8 swaps as well.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Which vehicle has the most desirable 9 inch to swap in?I had heard that there are 8.8 swaps as well.
There are aftermarket vendors that sell a bolt in housing with axles or complete rear ends, there are no modifications required to bolt them in except for the driveshaft. Here are a few.

http://www.quickperformance.com/9-Ford-Complete-Rearend-GM-G-Body-78-87_p_20384.html
http://www.moserengineering.com/9-ford-housing-axle-package.item
https://www.currieenterprises.com/build-a-new-one
https://www.strangeengineering.net/product/ford-9-fill-drain-gm-g-body-with-ends-and-mounts.html/

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I'v been told that the 66-77 Broncos are the best for width. Mine is 58 inches wide axle mount to axle mount.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have a Moser in my Monte and added the rear brace, drain plug and filler cap.
IMG_0015.jpg

• Winner

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I'v been told that the 66-77 Broncos are the best for width. Mine is 58 inches wide axle mount to axle mount.
I personally could not justify looking for an old used rear end that will not bolt in and then spending the time and money having to do a bunch of fabrication to make it work when there is already housings available that are built on a jig and require nothing but R & R IMO
My time is worth money also.

• Agree

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I got lucky when I found my housing and axles already set up for a Gbody for $250.00

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

Justinjames

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2018
If I'm going to spend that kind of money in a fabd up rear i would definitely save a penny and have my friend build me another Dana 60.

Just didnt know if there were other options than the 8.5 out there that are bolt in as they are becoming elusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor